Why would I want to use sync, won't it interfere with my privacy?
No one has ever explained what sync is or why I would want it. A number of friends have tried this option and have had nothing but complaints about spam, cookies and the like. I don't want to be tracked by any commercial entity. I do not want content customized to what is perceived to be my needs based upon my history. Until I can get some sort of logical reason as to why it would help me, without going through a bunch of extra steps to insure my privacy I again have to ask, why would I want to use sync?
Additional System Details
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.65.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Shockwave Flash 14.0 r0
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.07
- Shockwave Flash 13.0 r0
- Shockwave Flash 12.0 r0
- WildTangent Games App V2 Presence Detector
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0
I can understand your concern about your privacy and the guys at Mozilla respect your privacy.
What You Should Know About Privacy & Firefox Sync
* We need your username and email address to register you on the service, but we don’t ask for other personal information. * Your data is only used to provide the Firefox Sync service. * Firefox Sync on your computer encrypts your data before sending it to us so the data isn’t sitting around on our servers in a usable form. * We don’t sell your data or use ad networks on the Firefox Sync webpages or service. * For the full text of our privacy practices and all the “legalese” and details, please visit https://services.mozilla.com/privacy-policy/
I would like you to get back at me and know what you think.
I can understand the privacy portion of the answer, but the basic question is still unanswered--what is sync and why would I want it? The privacy practices and all that is fine--I truly just don't know what it is or what purpose it serves. I use very few apps. I don't play games. So far, I've been fortunate enough not to have to own a smart phone. I refuse to text on my phone--I have it blocked. I refuse to use a phone to search for information I can get on my laptop. I will not give out my phone number, even if I don't get text. So what's the big deal about sync? Again what is it, and why do I need it.
The basic purpose of Sync is this: If you have multiple computers or devices with Firefox installed, it will help you keep all the same bookmarks, passwords, add-ons, etc. (whatever you choose) on all your devices. This way, if you log into a website on your desktop and tell Firefox to remember the password, when you go to your laptop the password will automatically be there.
Firefox Sync does not serve you ads, sell your information, etc. Nor does it track you. It is private and is only used as you tell it to keep your devices in sync.
If you don't have any devices, and only use one computer, then Sync isn't really designed for you. If you have multiple computers that you use, or have a tablet or smart phone, then it may be useful to you.
Firefox Sync is a browser synchronization feature that allows users to synchronize bookmarks, browsing history, preferences, passwords, filled forms, add-ons . So it is useful for people who have many computers for example a home computer and a work computer and if they would like to keep their stuff available on every computer, they can sync. Its like Dropbox for browser stuff like bookmarks, browsing history, preferences, passwords, filled forms, add-ons .
It keeps user data on Mozilla servers, but the data is encrypted in such a way that no third party, not even Mozilla, can access user information.