Set up email
Add and configure your email accounts on Thunderbird
- Automatic Account Configuration Setting up a new account with Thunderbird is easy. All you need to do is provide your user name and password for your email provider and your email address.
- Switch from POP to IMAP account This article explains how to switch from a POP to an IMAP account in Thunderbird.
- Thunderbird and Gmail Thunderbird can be set up to work seamlessly with Google's Gmail. Messages will be synchronized between your local version of Thunderbird and web-based Gmail.
- Glossary of Terms including types of Accounts This article describes the types of accounts (IMAP, POP, RSS, NNTP) supported by Thunderbird.
- Maildir in Thunderbird Optional support for Maildir allows you to store email as individual files, unlike the default single file format. Learn about Maildir in Thunderbird.
- Manual Account Configuration This article will show you how to manually configure the basic settings you need to send and receive emails with Thunderbird.
- Changing IMAP to POP As of Thunderbird 3, the new Automatic Account Configuration Wizard can help you configure your connection to your email provider, but only if your provider is in Mozilla's database of Internet Service Providers or recognized by Thunderbird. While most of the large providers are included, many smaller ones are not yet in the account configuration database.
- The difference between IMAP and POP3 Thunderbird gives users the choice between using IMAP or POP3. This documentation will explain the major differences between these protocols.