Firefox gets slow when using browser-based tools with several extensions enabled
Hi,
I'm having a performance issue with Firefox on my computer. After Firefox has been running for a while, it sometimes becomes noticeably slower when I use several browser-based tools and keep multiple tabs open.
For example, I noticed it while using an online one rep max calculator to work out estimated lifting numbers. The calculator itself is fairly simple, but Firefox occasionally starts using more CPU and the browser feels less responsive.
I have several extensions installed, so I'm not sure whether an extension, a particular tab, or Firefox itself is responsible.
I've already tried closing unnecessary tabs, but the problem can still come back.
Is there a good way to determine whether a Firefox extension is causing the high CPU usage? Would checking about:processes or running Firefox in Troubleshoot Mode be the best way to narrow it down?
I'm especially interested in knowing how to identify the specific extension or tab responsible rather than disabling everything permanently.
Thanks.
Alle Antworten (1)
Hi davednick7,
Yes, about:processes is a good place to start. It can show the CPU and memory usage of individual tabs as well as the combined Extensions process.
When the slowdown happens, open about:processes and sort by CPU. If a particular tab is using a lot of CPU, try closing that tab and see whether Firefox becomes responsive again.
If the Extensions process is the one using significant CPU, try Firefox's Troubleshoot Mode. This temporarily disables all extensions. If the problem disappears there, you can then re-enable your extensions individually, or in groups, to identify the one causing the problem.
Since you mentioned that the problem develops after Firefox has been running for a while, it would be useful to check about:processes while the slowdown is actually happening rather than immediately after restarting Firefox.
If you can, could you also let us know your Firefox version and operating system, and whether the CPU usage is mainly shown against a particular tab or the Extensions process?