Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Hilfe durchsuchen

Vorsicht vor Support-Betrug: Wir fordern Sie niemals auf, eine Telefonnummer anzurufen, eine SMS an eine Telefonnummer zu senden oder persönliche Daten preiszugeben. Bitte melden Sie verdächtige Aktivitäten über die Funktion „Missbrauch melden“.

Weitere Informationen
Gelöst Archiviert

I miss the feature "Automatically mark message as read when opened" as was found in Eudora

Tyranusarus

This would make Thunderbird much mor user friendly as the two present alternatives are just annoying.

This would make Thunderbird much mor user friendly as the two present alternatives are just annoying.

Alle Antworten (5)

Ausgewählte Lösung

I really have no idea what you are talking about. Thunderbird marks mail as read when opened, the default is immediately, but that can be modified in options.

Perhaps your under some mistaken assumption that there is some sort of message preview.

This option has always been available and I use it. via Menu Bar

  • Tools > Options > Advanced > Reading & Display

or via menu icon

  • menu icon > Options > Options > Advanced > Reading & Display
  • select: 'automatically mark messages as read'
  • Select: 'Immediately on display'
  • click on OK

When you select/left click an email in the list, it will auto open and display in the Message Pane below the list. If you use double click, it will auto open in a new tab or window depending upon what you selected. In bth instances the message will be immediately marked as read.

Message Pane can be enabled via Menu Bar

  • View > Layout > Message Pane

via menu icon

  • menu icon > Options > Lauout > Message Pane

or toggle the view using the f8 key.

Sorry about being unclear.

In Thunderbird as in Eudora new mails are bold but I would like them to be normal after being opened, not after being viewed in the preview pane.

I hope I made myself clearer. It's not simple to be clear when writing about technically details in another language than my native.

As I said in my last reply, there is no message preview. You have the choice of reading in a message pane in the main windows along with the mail lists, on a tab (double click) or if you change the settings in a window. But there is no preview hence mail is marked read when you read it.

You appear to be looking for a feature that simply does not exist.

Some people do get confused about the 'Message Pane' seen below the list of emails. This is not a preview pane. If you can see an email shown in the Message Pane then you have selected an email and it has opened, so the email will be auto marked as read if you have the settings I suggested previously.

There are different methods of reading a message/email, in Message Pane, in new tab or in a new window. All of these methods open the selected email. The Message Pane is simple and quick, but how you choose to read the email is down to your preference.