Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

ابحث في الدعم

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

Firefox 153.0.3 does not save session when Firefox is closed

Koos

Firefox 153.0.3 does not save session when Firefox is closed

Since the latest Firefox update, Firefox no longer restores my open tabs after closing and restarting the browser.

This worked correctly before the recent Firefox update; the problem appeared immediately after updating Firefox.

Firefox version: 153.0.3 (64-bit) Operating system: Windows 11

My Firefox startup setting is enabled:

Open previous windows and tabs

However, this setting no longer works.

Steps to reproduce Start Firefox normally. Open several websites in separate tabs (I tested with 3–5 tabs). Close Firefox normally using the Firefox menu / Exit. Start Firefox again. Actual result

All previously open tabs are gone.

They are also NOT available under:

History → Recently Closed Tabs

There is no usable previous session to restore.

Troubleshooting

I repeated the same test in Firefox Troubleshoot Mode, with the same result.

Therefore this does not appear to be caused by an extension.

Session files

I checked the Firefox profile's sessionstore-backups folder.

The folder contains, among others:

previous.jsonlz4 recovery.jsonlz4 recovery.baklz4 several upgrade.jsonlz4-... files

After testing with several open tabs, the current recovery.jsonlz4 and recovery.baklz4 files were only about 2.4 KB in size.

This suggests that Firefox is not correctly saving the current browsing session when it is closed.

The problem started after a recent Firefox update. Before that update, session restore worked normally.

I would appreciate it if this could be investigated as a possible Session Restore regression in Firefox 153.0.3.

Firefox 153.0.3 does not save session when Firefox is closed Since the latest Firefox update, Firefox no longer restores my open tabs after closing and restarting the browser. This worked correctly before the recent Firefox update; the problem appeared immediately after updating Firefox. Firefox version: 153.0.3 (64-bit) Operating system: Windows 11 My Firefox startup setting is enabled: Open previous windows and tabs However, this setting no longer works. Steps to reproduce Start Firefox normally. Open several websites in separate tabs (I tested with 3–5 tabs). Close Firefox normally using the Firefox menu / Exit. Start Firefox again. Actual result All previously open tabs are gone. They are also NOT available under: History → Recently Closed Tabs There is no usable previous session to restore. Troubleshooting I repeated the same test in Firefox Troubleshoot Mode, with the same result. Therefore this does not appear to be caused by an extension. Session files I checked the Firefox profile's sessionstore-backups folder. The folder contains, among others: previous.jsonlz4 recovery.jsonlz4 recovery.baklz4 several upgrade.jsonlz4-... files After testing with several open tabs, the current recovery.jsonlz4 and recovery.baklz4 files were only about 2.4 KB in size. This suggests that Firefox is not correctly saving the current browsing session when it is closed. The problem started after a recent Firefox update. Before that update, session restore worked normally. I would appreciate it if this could be investigated as a possible Session Restore regression in Firefox 153.0.3.

All Replies (3)

Zou u hiervan een bug aan willen maken op BugZilla?

I’m happy to do that Mark. But I don’t have any issues with web compatibility. Yet that’s what they ask about on the site I ended up on via your link! How am I supposed to interpret this? And how do I apply it?

The link is to the main page, you should report a new bug in a Mozilla product.

اطرح سؤالا

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.