Netflix NOT playing on Firefox after Silverlight & Firefox updates!
I have the current version of Firefox (43.0.3) and the current version of Silverlight (5.1.41105.0). Silverlight is "always activated" but when I try to play a movie on Netflix, it stalls out and I get a black screen with circling blue dots, as if the movie was loading still... Netflix movies will play with Safari just fine (with or without Silverlight installed). I've tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Silverlight 6 times. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled Mozilla Firefox once. Help!
I'm on a Macbook Pro Version 10.11.2 OS X with El Capitain. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Additional System Details
- 20-20 Technologies - 20-20 3D Viewer v220.127.116.11
- Plugin that detects installed Citrix Online products (visit www.citrixonline.com).
- Provides information about the default web browser
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- Version 18.104.22.168
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 20.0 r0
- WebEx64 General Plugin Container Version 202
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/43.0
Try Firefox Safe Mode to see if the problem goes away. Firefox Safe Mode is a troubleshooting mode that temporarily turns off hardware acceleration, resets some settings, and disables add-ons (extensions and themes).
If Firefox is open, you can restart in Firefox Safe Mode from the Help menu:
- Click the menu button , click Help and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled.
If Firefox is not running, you can start Firefox in Safe Mode as follows:
- On Windows: Hold the Shift key when you open the Firefox desktop or Start menu shortcut.
- On Mac: Hold the option key while starting Firefox.
- On Linux: Quit Firefox, go to your Terminal and run firefox -safe-mode
(you may need to specify the Firefox installation path e.g. /usr/lib/firefox)
When the Firefox Safe Mode window appears, select "Start in Safe Mode".
If the issue is not present in Firefox Safe Mode, your problem is probably caused by an extension, theme, or hardware acceleration. Please follow the steps in the Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems article to find the cause.
To exit Firefox Safe Mode, just close Firefox and wait a few seconds before opening Firefox for normal use again.
When you figure out what's causing your issues, please let us know. It might help others with the same problem.
Thank you for your response! I did try starting Firefox in safe mode. However, since Netflix requires Silverlight to be activated in order to stream movies, I was prompted to "install silverlight" when I tried to watch a movie in safe mode. However, I'm pretty certain at this point that the issue lies in Silverlight itself. When I right-click on a stalled-out movie trying to load on Netflix, I get a "silverlight preferences" pop-up. When I click on that, silverlight crashes. Every single time. Which makes me think it's a corrupted silverlight install. But I've uninstalled and reinstalled silverlight about 8 times now.... Arrrggghhh!