Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved

In Firefox 157, how to revert back to the look of Firefox 156 or earlier?

Alex

The new look of Firefox 157 is very bad, in many ways. I am not talking only about esthetics, but Functionality. Too much distance between tabs, etc.

Is it possible to revert back to the look of Firefox 156 or earlier?

The new look of Firefox 157 is very bad, in many ways. I am not talking only about esthetics, but Functionality. Too much distance between tabs, etc. Is it possible to revert back to the look of Firefox 156 or earlier?
Lees dié antwoord in konteks

Gekose oplossing

Try this: about:config browser.nova.enabled < change to disabled

WARNING from the moderator team: Changing Firefox preferences from the about:config page can sometimes break Firefox or cause strange behavior. You should only do this if you know what you're doing. Please read Firefox advanced customization and configuration options to learn more.

Gewysig op deur Paul

All Replies (7)

Hi

Have you tried the returning Compact Mode? I think you may find that it will help.

Paul said

Hi Have you tried the returning Compact Mode? I think you may find that it will help.

Hi

I checked and saw it is still in Compact Mode (and has become so non-compact).

I don't know why Mozilla did this terrible re-design. Now, each tab is consuming about the space of 2 tabs, on my vertical tab bar (and it is in Compact Mode).

Not to mention the ugly look.

I hope they add a 'Good Old look' option, soon. Or kindly fix this.

Gewysig op deur Alex

Gekose oplossing

Try this: about:config browser.nova.enabled < change to disabled

WARNING from the moderator team: Changing Firefox preferences from the about:config page can sometimes break Firefox or cause strange behavior. You should only do this if you know what you're doing. Please read Firefox advanced customization and configuration options to learn more.

Gewysig op deur Paul

Hi

I would not recommend that.

You may want to try this theme - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-CA/firefox/addon/firefox-proton/

Firefox user said

Try this: about:config browser.nova.enabled < change to disabled

This worked beautifully; it reverted Firefox 157 to the good old look.

Hope they at Mozilla don't kill this browser.nova.disabled option in future versions (though I really fear they will kill it sooner or later).

If anything, they should remove this terrible Nova thing.

Gewysig op deur Alex

Paul said

Hi I would not recommend that. You may want to try this theme - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-CA/firefox/addon/firefox-proton/

Thanks, but this theme (or any other theme) is not the solution to this new, fundamental GUI problem. Not even close to a partial solution. Though I did test it, to no avail.

Gewysig op deur Alex

Hi Alex

Yes, I would expect that about:config preference to. e removed in the future, which is why I recommend that you do not use it.

Vra 'n vraag

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.