I tell it to sync, it never does. Stored information is now years old, can't update.
I need to create a new profile because I am having problems, the old one appears to be corrupt. I need to keep all my extensions, settings, history, tabs, bookmarks, etc.
So from the profile that has all the settings, I tell Firefox Sync to sync. It says it's syncing.
Then I quit Firefox, open with the profile manager, create a new blank profile, and sign into Firefox Sync using the same Firefox Account.
Within a few minutes, sync completes, and my new browser profile is exactly like an old copy of firefox that I deleted maybe 5 years ago. All my old extensions, tabs, everything.
I need to sync my CURRENT Firefox so I can restore a clean profile to it. Not restore a setup from a copy I deleted years ago.
I've tried this process about 4 times now and the result is always the same. Firefox sync does NOT see my current tabs, extensions, bookmarks, settings, anything. It keeps the ones from years ago no matter what.
I don't want to delete my firefox account and start a new one because it will cause me to lose access to all my forum comments.
All Replies (1)
You didn't tell use what issues you have with the old profile.
Note that if you want to create a new profile due to having problems with you previous profile can expect issues with using Sync.
You can copy certain files with Firefox closed to the current profile folder to transfer or recover personal data. Note that best is to avoid copying a full profile folder.
You can use the button on the "Help -> More Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page to go to the current Firefox profile folder or use the about:profiles page (Root directory).
- Help -> More Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Folder/Directory:
Windows: Open Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder
- ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/<profile>
In Mac OS X v10.7 and later, the "~/Library" folder in the Home directory is a hidden folder.
- bookmarks and history: places.sqlite
- favicons: favicons.sqlite
- bookmark backups: compressed .jsonlz4 JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder
- cookies.sqlite for the Cookies
- formhistory.sqlite for saved autocomplete Form Data
- logins.json (encrypted logins;32+) and key4.db (decryption key;58+) for Passwords saved in the Password Manager
key3.db support ended in 73+; to use key3.db in 58-72, make sure to remove key4.db
- cert9.db (58+) for (intermediate) certificates stored in the Certificate Manager
- persdict.dat for words added to the spell checker dictionary
- permissions.sqlite for Permissions and possibly content-prefs.sqlite for other website specific data (Site Preferences)
- sessionstore.jsonlz4 for open tabs and pinned tabs (see also the sessionstore-backups folder)