Upgrade to V89 lost all usernames and passwords
I lost all usernames and passwords. It wasn't even saving new passwords. Created Firefox account and logged in and now I have two (out of hundreds). How can I import from my old logins.json and key3.db (or key4.db) into Firefox Lockwise? I've set the config to be able to import from file, but all it wants are .csv and when I point it at logins.json it fails. Help!
It's possible that the upgrade created a new virgin profile and closeted the former one that had all your user data.
What you can try is launching the other stored profiles. And if any of them looks highly familiar to you, you can then make it the default profile.
To do the above, copy the below into the url field and go. Then when the profile management page shows up, you will likely find more than 1 profile on it. Each subsection has buttons that provide some options as well.
Nope. I loaded ESR 68 per Mozilla article before, it created another profile. No diff using that one.
I tried creating a new profile, then copying key3.db, key4.db, logins.json into that folder, then launched a new browser using that profile. No difference, no passwords.
The big question is can Firefox Lockwise import passwords from an earlier logins.json with its associated key3.db (or key4.db, I'm not sure which key the old Password Manager used to encrypt the usernames and passwords stored in logins.json)?
P.S. I'm a software developer since 1976, still coding as a consultant, so very software literate.
由 david.stein 於 修改
Essentially, if none of the other profiles that have their exclusive key4 files, no longer display any passwords as well, then copying those files into the current profile is futile. Therefore updating Lockwise should be the lessor of your concerns.
1) So at this time, you have checked all the stored profiles and found that none of them display any passwords and or logins.
2) We can assume that the FF account used for syncing also does not have any pw's to download, especially to populate a new virgin blank profile.
Therefore, there is an alternative option you have as a win10 user.
Open up a blank FF profile. Then execute the "import from another browser" feature.
Go down the list of other browsers and see if any of them has any data to import into FF.
Let me know of your discovery.
Hi David, Losing passwords after an update is not supposed to happen. I'm a little unclear about what you're experiencing and what you did.
- What version did you update from? (In another post, you mentioned 68 but I'm not sure if that was part of an attempt to fix the issue)
- Were you using Firefox Sync before the issue? If so, were you syncing your passwords?
- You said that you "Created Firefox account". Did you create the account in an existing profile?
- Did you lose anything other than passwords, like bookmarks?
- As I understand it, your attempt to fix the issue was to create a new profile, then copy key3.db, key4.db, and logins.json. Was Firefox open at the time? (it is supposed to be closed)
In the event that the passwords information is lost, you should record all information in a separate text file somewhere else on your hard drive, or written down. You can easily copy and paste if you need to do so. If you are concerned about someone else looking at that file, you can compress it using a password.
Current Firefox version can only use key4.db for the key file. Support for key3.db ended with Firefox 73 and newer (i.e. Firefox 72.0.2 is the last version that supports key3.db).
From what Firefox version are the files you try to use ?