Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

搜尋 Mozilla 技術支援網站

防止技術支援詐騙。我們絕對不會要求您撥打電話或發送簡訊,或是提供個人資訊。請用「回報濫用」功能回報可疑的行為。

了解更多
Solved 封存

The spell-check language changes every time I navigate away from a page

zededd2000

I am using Windows 8, FF version 31.0

I am English from Britain. Not the US. Every time I change the spell-check language, even if i just change the tab and come back to that page, it auto-resets it to english US.

I have crawled through all the support pages and had no luck. I have uninstalled, re-installed, checked the user-config, checked my addons (i did not install english US as a language and it does not appear in the list of installed languages).

How can I delete English US from my entire computer. That will guarantee that i'll only be using the one language I have installed!

I did not want to post a new question, but it seems that a lot of people are not getting this problem solved.

I am using Windows 8, FF version 31.0 I am English from Britain. Not the US. Every time I change the spell-check language, even if i just change the tab and come back to that page, it auto-resets it to english US. I have crawled through all the support pages and had no luck. I have uninstalled, re-installed, checked the user-config, checked my addons (i did not install english US as a language and it does not appear in the list of installed languages). How can I delete English US from my entire computer. That will guarantee that i'll only be using the one language I have installed! I did not want to post a new question, but it seems that a lot of people are not getting this problem solved.
從原來的回覆中察看解決方案

選擇的解決方法

Do you know what content was in the user.js file?


You can check if you see those dictionaries in the dictionaries folder in the Firefox program folder. They might be in that folder if you ever used an en-US Firefox version.

所有回覆 (6)

Hello zededd2000, any luck if you delete in your profile folder the User.js file.

The user.js file does not exist by default. If you create the file, forget it, if you have not create the file then delete the User.js file, to see if the problem goes away (some programs create and write in the file also).

thank you

I'm holding my breath... but this looks like it might have fixed it! Thank you Ideato

I'd still like to know how to delete the US dictionary, but if it does not auto-select, then I can live with it

選擇的解決方法

Do you know what content was in the user.js file?


You can check if you see those dictionaries in the dictionaries folder in the Firefox program folder. They might be in that folder if you ever used an en-US Firefox version.

Well, now I feel dumb... I did a search for US and EN but nothing viable turned up (partial matches galore)... I must have overlooked it :(

Thank you very much Cor-el! Now, there's no way it can be the wrong language! I'll let you know if somehow that doesn't fix it, but i'm pretty confident that fixed it!

How about a non-techie solution?

It's a real shame this problem apparently can't be solved in a way that allows the user to spell check in different languages in a practical way. Like the poster, I finally opted to uninstall all languages but my main one and lose the functionality for my second laguange (English). What I did was simply to delete the Us eng files under Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\dictionaries. Really simple at that.

edit: languages (I caught that myself)