Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Yiñ denc

Flash makes my Firefox freeze

Ghuztav

The Shockwave Flash plugin makes my Firefox freeze anytime I enter a page containing flash content. I am absolutely sure that it is the cause of the freezing as everytime I choose to activate it on obvious flash sites the whole browser freezes permanently (well at least until I shutdown Firefox with task manager)

I have googled this, reinstalled firefox/flash so many times but none of it works. And no I cannot change the hardware acceleration of flash that many reccomend as I cannot even load flash content at all.

Please help, Firefox is my favorite internet browser and the only one I actually like(d) and I detest Chrome and the other alternatives.

The Shockwave Flash plugin makes my Firefox freeze anytime I enter a page containing flash content. I am absolutely sure that it is the cause of the freezing as everytime I choose to activate it on obvious flash sites the whole browser freezes permanently (well at least until I shutdown Firefox with task manager) I have googled this, reinstalled firefox/flash so many times but none of it works. And no I cannot change the hardware acceleration of flash that many reccomend as I cannot even load flash content at all. Please help, Firefox is my favorite internet browser and the only one I actually like(d) and I detest Chrome and the other alternatives.

All Replies (3)

Hello,

Some problems with Flash video playback can be resolved by disabling hardware acceleration in your Flash Player settings. (See this article for more information on using the Flash plugin in Firefox).

To disable hardware acceleration in Flash Player:

  1. Go to this Adobe Flash Player Help page.
  2. Right-click on the Flash Player logo on that page.
  3. Click on Settings in the context menu. The Adobe Flash Player Settings screen will open.
  4. Click on the icon at the bottom-left of the Adobe Flash Player Settings window to open the Display panel.

    The image "fpSettings1.PNG" does not exist.
  5. Remove the check mark from Enable hardware acceleration.
  6. Click Close to close the Adobe Flash Player Settings Window.
  7. Restart Firefox.

This Flash Player Help - Display Settings page has more information on Flash Player hardware acceleration, if you're interested.

Does this solve the problem? Let us know.

I would also recommending right clicking on the Flash player on one of the pages where you see it freeze and clear the storage of the plugin to see if this makes a difference in performance.

You can also try to disable hardware acceleration in Firefox.