Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved Archived

mailto does not work: Windows says You'll need a new app

citizen1138x

Windows 10 21H2 19044-2728. Running Thunderbird 52.9.1

Adding mailto: links in some websites I am developing. When clicking on the email link Windows says I'll need a new app. Can't set default for email - it says there are no installed apps for this type of file or protocol Can't set the default protocol - mailto is not on the list.

How can I set Thunderbird as the default for mailto: links?

thanks

Windows 10 21H2 19044-2728. Running Thunderbird 52.9.1 Adding mailto: links in some websites I am developing. When clicking on the email link Windows says I'll need a new app. Can't set default for email - it says there are no installed apps for this type of file or protocol Can't set the default protocol - mailto is not on the list. How can I set Thunderbird as the default for mailto: links? thanks

All Replies (2)

This is a windows function. Use the 'default apps' menu to scroll to and select Thunderbird.

Suluhisho teule

No worries. I'll ask the question on a Windows forums. I had already tried what you suggested before I posted here. Unfortunately, you can't scroll an error message that says "there are no apps".