Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved Archived

HOw can I edit the dictionary in 38.1.0?

NeilCoath

I have inadvertently added an incorrectly spelt word to the dictionary in my email client (Thunderbird 38.1.0). I wish to edit the dictionary to remove this error. I cannot find a way to achieve this.

Can anyone help?

I have inadvertently added an incorrectly spelt word to the dictionary in my email client (Thunderbird 38.1.0). I wish to edit the dictionary to remove this error. I cannot find a way to achieve this. Can anyone help?
Read this answer in context

Suluhisho teule

Excellent Zenos. That worked beautifully. Thank you for the help. Cheers Neil

All Replies (4)

The spell check dialogue window has an "Edit" button. So open a Write window, provoke it to check the spelling and click this button.

When you add words, you add them to your personal dictionary; you don't alter the main dictionary file.

Thanks for the idea, Zenos - but the dialogue box doesn't have an Edit line that I can detect. See attached screen print. I'm still puzzled.

Cheers

Neil

Ah! You have right-clicked the offending word.

Try the spell check button in Thunderbird's toolbar, and you should see this:

Modified by Zenos

Suluhisho teule

Excellent Zenos. That worked beautifully. Thank you for the help. Cheers Neil