Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

Solved: Deleted account continues to prompt ""Mozilla Thunderbird Email wants access to your Google Account"

bruce.jane.fraser

This is not a question, but rather the solution I found. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, but I couldn't find a better place.

THE PROBLEM I deleted an account. But every time I start Thunderbird, this message pops up in Firefox browser: "Mozilla Thunderbird Email wants access to your Google Account" -- and it's for the deleted account!

I tried all the suggestions I found on the internet, but none of them solved it:

  • Add the account again, then delete again
  • In Thunderbird Settings - Privacy and Security - Saved Passwords: delete anything with that name
  • In Account Settings - Outgoing Server: delete anything with that name
  • Calendar: delete anything with that name

Finally, one more thing did it:

  • Address book: delete anything with that name;
  • even delete address book with no name. Aha! It was this last step that did it.
This is not a question, but rather the solution I found. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, but I couldn't find a better place. THE PROBLEM I deleted an account. But every time I start Thunderbird, this message pops up in Firefox browser: "Mozilla Thunderbird Email wants access to your Google Account" -- and it's for the deleted account! I tried all the suggestions I found on the internet, but none of them solved it: * Add the account again, then delete again * In Thunderbird Settings - Privacy and Security - Saved Passwords: delete anything with that name * In Account Settings - Outgoing Server: delete anything with that name * Calendar: delete anything with that name Finally, one more thing did it: * Address book: delete anything with that name; * even delete address book with no name. Aha! It was this last step that did it.

All Replies (1)

Hi bruce.jane.fraser,

Thanks for sharing what you found. That is a useful detail, especially since the usual saved-password and account settings checks didn't resolve it.

It sounds like an address book was still associated with the deleted Google account, which was causing Thunderbird to request authorization for it again at startup. Deleting the remaining address-book entry resolved the problem.

Thanks for documenting the solution — hopefully it will help someone else who runs into the same issue.

Ask a question

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.