Unable to setup Email with Apple mail ( @Mac.com ) address, help needed please.
I have thunderbird downloaded on my PC and would like to be able to access my emails normally sent to my Apple address ending in @Mac.com. I have tried to set this up on my own with no success, so I turned to ChatGPT and spent 4 hours going down the rabbit hole that is AI. Total waste of time!!!! Now turning to, probably, where I should have gone to in the first place, you guys!! I don't need to access calendars or contacts etc just the email. Can someone who maybe has done this using the @Mac.com email address give me some step by step instructions on how to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks👍 Kev
All Replies (7)
You must create an app-specific password at account.apple.com and use it instead of your mac.com password.
Thanks I tried that and it still didn't work. Do you think the fact that my email address is xxxxx@mac.com rather than @iCloud..com would make any difference? Using the ChatGPT process I got as far as testing the settings but on the final Next button I get an error message saying authorisation failure or similar!! Thanks
No, the address does not matter.
Please share the incoming and outgoing server settings. You can find them in account settings. Instead of sharing your e-mail address, just confirm that you are using your complete address in the server settings.
EDIT: Or share the settings that you are using when trying to set up your account.
Please also share a screen image of the error message.
If you are using the account hub to set up your account, go to Thunderbird settings, disable it, and try again.
Make sure that you enter your app-specific password instead of your mac.com password.
Modified
Will do Rick, as soon as I get back on to the Windows PC I will get all that and post it 👍
Rick said
No, the address does not matter. Please share the incoming and outgoing server settings. You can find them in account settings. Instead of sharing your e-mail address, just confirm that you are using your complete address in the server settings. EDIT: Or share the settings that you are using when trying to set up your account. Please also share a screen image of the error message. If you are using the account hub to set up your account, go to Thunderbird settings, disable it, and try again. Make sure that you enter your app-specific password instead of your mac.com password.
Hi Rick Rather than keep bothering you, I tried to install thunderbird on my MacBook and troubleshoot it there. 3 attempts later I managed to get it working, taking screenshots of each step. I deleted this copy and associated files and will try to transpose the settings onto my PC. I will let you know how it goes, thanks for your help👍
Hi Kev. You are not bothering me. Would you please tell me how it goes?
You will need another app-specific password for the PC.