Add-ons that cause stability or security issues are put on a blocklist
Table of Contents
- 1 What does the blocklist do?
- 2 What to do if you see a blocklist notification
- 3 Can blocks be lifted?
- 4 What unsafe add-ons are on the blocklist?
What does the blocklist do?
Once a block is implemented, Firefox will block the unsafe add-on from loading. Blocks can be issued at varying levels depending on the severity of issues found.
- Soft blocks disable an extension by default, but allow you to override and continue to use the add-on. Soft blocks are issued for non-malicious add-ons.
- Hard blocks disable an add-on and do not allow you to enable it or override the block. Hard blocks are used when add-ons are found to be malicious.
- Click-to-activate blocks disable a plugin by default, but allow you to enable the plugin for particular sites. This type of block is issued for non-malicious plugins.
How will I know if an add-on is blocked?
You will see a notification from Firefox with the following message:
To prevent these add-ons from running, click .
If the add-on has been hard blocked, you will not be able to override the block.
Can I install an add-on after it has been blocked?
Once an add-on has been blocklisted, it will not appear in the gallery of addons.mozilla.org until the developer uploads a new version that addresses all issues that resulted in the block request.
Additionally, Firefox will prevent you from installing an unsafe add-on that is on the blocklist by displaying this message:
If you were blocked from installing an add-on, check to see if there is an updated version of the add-on you were trying to install. Please be aware that some blocks may be permanent and you may need to find an alternative add-on.
Prevents plugins from running automatically
Firefox can prevent a plugin from running automatically (which prevents many issues). When Firefox blocks a plugin you'll see a message similar to this:
You can then choose to run the plugin or update it (if an update is available). To learn more, see Why do I have to click to activate plugins?
What to do if you see a blocklist notification
If the installed add-on is disabled
Accept the notification and restart Firefox. If you choose to override a soft block, you do so at your own risk.
Check to see if there's an updated version of your plugin. If there are no plugin updates available, you may need to contact the developer of the plugin that was blocked.
Can blocks be lifted?
Depending on the severity of the violation, the history of the developer, and other relevant factors, some blocks may be lifted once the developer uploads a new approved version. If that happens, users who had previously downloaded the add-on will immediately be able to use it again once its listing goes live again on addons.mozilla.org.
- Click the menu button and choose , then the panel.
- Click on the settings icon and make sure that the menu item is checked.
What unsafe add-ons are on the blocklist?
See the list of blocked add-ons.