Multiple Problems ith Thunderbird 115..3.1
I upgraded to 115.3.1 from 102.15.1 this week. I do not understand the large increase in version number, but I have not done any searches. I have a number of complains with this new version.
1) I want to move one message to a Local Folder, and I get the message at the bottom "nn messages moved from Inbox to Tr.ash". The one message I wanted to move remains in the Inbox, and I have to move it again. When I try to move them again, the folder displayed is NOT the one into which I had just tried to save. I have no idea if any messages were moved from Inbox to Trash, and I have no idea how I would find them.
2) The font size in the window is smaller than it was with 102, and there is blank space on the right. Is there a way to increase the font size?
3) I read one mail message and I process it (delete it or save it in a Local Folder). Most of the time, the next message in the Inbox is opened. But sometimes the window advances to a message further down in the Inbox, and I then have to go back into the Inbox to access then next message I was planning on reading.
Все ответы (15)
For #2 find density and font in the ☰ menu, top right.
For the others, does help > Troubleshoot Mode help?
Wayne, density solved that problem, but it introduced another. Now each message occupies two lines:
Sender Date Subject
I want all three on one line. When I reset the density to any of the three settings, I still get two lines. I had to turn off Troubleshooting mode to get back to one line. And I am not sure what Troubleshooting mode will tell me for the other two problems, which seem to be random.
About problem #1 - I saw a message at the bottom of the window "Moved 47 messages from Inbox to Trash. Then I did a filter search for some messages, selected three, and deleted them. The message at the bottom of the window now reads "Moved 50 messages from Inbox to Trash. So It appears that this message is correct (but misleading). I have, indeed , moved 50 messages to Trash since the last time the message was refreshed. Now the message line reads "No messages to download", so I assume that TB has just looked for new messages and found none. I did another filter, and I found 32 messages to move to Trash. After the movement, the message at the bottom says, "Moved 32 messages from Inbox to Trash".
I do not remember the message at the bottom of the screen remaining in previous releases of TB. I do not mind if the message remains at the bottom, but when I move n messages to Trash, the message should state that n messages were moved; the count should not be cumulative,
I have new info about problem 3). I read a message and decide to delete it. Then, the messages displayed after the deletion is a newer set of messages. But the next message (after the one I just deleted) is shown in the bottom part of the window. I decide to delete that message, and then the bottom window moves back to show the next message after the two I have just deleted. I have no idea why the top window shifts to a later set of messages and then shifts back. The previous version of TB that I had installed did not shift the view.
And I now have a new problem:
4) I read a message and want to move it to a Local Folder. Sometimes the message is not moved, and the "Message" menu still has "Move to xxx" again Cntl-Shift-M", where "xxx" is the last Local Folder into which I moved a message. It does NOT reflect the new folder into which I wanted to move the current message. If I then read another mail message and then go back to the other one, I then can move that message to the desired Local Folder. This does not happen all of the time, and I have not yet determined the conditions that cause this problem to arise.
Wayne replied (and solved problem 2). But no one has replied about my other three problems. Problem 1) is an annoyance with which I can live, as I know what is happening. But problems 3) and 4) I consider bugs. I am reluctant to open official bug reports for these two until someone "officially"says that I should. These two problems are intermittent, and they appear randomly. So I have no idea when they will next appear.
Here is more info on problem 4). I tried to move a message into a Local Folder, and the message was not moved. I decided to look at the error console, and I saw this line at the end of the console:
An error occurred executing the cmd_moveMessage command: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE) [nsIMsgDBView.doCommandWithFolder]" nsresult: "0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://messenger/content/mailCommon.js :: cmd_moveMessage :: line 178" data: no] globalOverlay.js:102:13
Wayne, the error message is the same, but the lead-in is different. As I do not know the underlying code, I cannot say that they are related. If someone is working on a fix for 1857390, then I can wait until that bug is fixed to see if it also fixes my problem 4). When I did a Google search on the error code, I found a posting on some Unix-related site where someone reported the same problem as mine.
About problem 3) - it happens randomly, and I see nothing in the error console. So can't get more diagnostic information. I could get before and after screen shots, but I would be spending lots of time capturing "before" shots in hopes that the problem will occur and then I can get the "after" screenshot. I am surprised that no one else has reported it.
Wayne, density solved that problem, but it introduced another. Now each message occupies two lines: Sender Date Subject I want all three on one line. When I reset the density to any of the three settings, I still get two lines. I had to turn off Troubleshooting mode to get back to one line. And I am not sure what Troubleshooting mode will tell me for the other two problems, which seem to be random.
Perhaps you are referring to the addon which provides a reduced number of lines https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/compact-headers/ ?
Wayne, as far as I know, I have no add-ons to TB. I have attached a screenshot of part of my TB window.
I upgraded from 115.4.1 to 115.5.0 today, and problem 3) seems to have been fixed. Is there a list of bugs that are fixed in 115.5..0? Problem 4) has not been fixed. Wayne solved 2), and I can live with 1).
115.4.1 release notes says "fixed Message list scrolling fixes". I assume that this is my problem 3).
Hope I'm not hijacking this thread.
I am very grateful for the whole Mozilla project, and use both Firefox and the (now independent?) Thunderbird. Have made several donations previously, but recent security upgrade came with a lot of detriments. Not quite enough to drop Thunderbird, but VERY disappointing that someone felt it necessary to add all sorts of glitzy noise - what Edward Tufte calls "chartjunk" - that degrade my user experience. I assume that other folks are having the same or related issues.
I just now allowed another update. "About" now says:
115.5.2 (32-bit) - Release notes - Thunderbird is up to date
I'm running Windows 10 64 Pro. Is there supposed to be a 64-bit version of TB? Happy for any security improvement; have not seen any performance/usability benefit.
- On average, it now required 2x to 3x number of movements/clicks for every task.
- Whole folder trees now open when making a single-click selection. Real PITA to have to collapse it all again to see the the folder pane top level.
- Yet, often have to double click just to select (not open) another message or folder, then click again to open.
- Extremely annoying: system defaults to Threaded sort, no matter how many times I make the change to Unthreaded on any folder. Made the suggested change in advanced settings, but it still reverts to Threaded.
- Userchrome is apparently now non-functional, and default settings are visually unpleasant and make it harder to get work done. E.g., the grey circles with unread count are distracting and a waste of real estate, but I haven't found a way to disable the "feature." No userchrome means no way to remove wasted screen space, e.g. reducing menu-bar height.
- Columns auto-space in inconvenient ways. When I re-set them to my preference, there seems to be no global option - and they quickly revert anyway.
- Single-account download has been removed. This is very inconvenient when one has many accounts and wants to do a quick re-check on just one, e.g. to get an incoming urgent message.
- When selecting/opening a folder, it seem to wind up at some random point in list, rather than top (by my sort, most recent).
- Context menus ever more crowded and (I suspect) largely irrelevant to most users. There hasn't been a compatible context-menu editor extension for some time; this really should be a native feature when the list has grown to dozens of items.
Sure hope the next revision corrects some of these, and - especially - restores UserChrome functionality.
I have 64-bit Thunderbird installed in Win 10 Pro 64-bit.