This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
After upgrade from 3.6.28 to 12.0 I lost bookmark functionality
OS is Windows XP 64-bit SP2. Upgrade from version 3.6.28 to version 12.0 doesn't work properly because I lost bookmark functionality. Bookmark menu is there, but no bookmark entries.
- I tried to add a bookmark (visit a page, then 'bookmark this page'), but that doesn't work: no error message, but nothing is bookmarked
- I tried to restore bookmarks from previous Firefox (yes i previously made backup), but that doesn't work either. I tried that in 2 ways:
1) Show all bookmarks -> Import and Backup -> Restore -> Choose file -> bookmarks-2012-05-06.json; I get error message 'Unable to process the backup file'.
2) Import and Backup -> Import bookmarks from HTML -> bookmarks.html; I get no error message, but nothing is imported.
- I tried to rename places.sqlite to places.sqlite.old and start Firefox. Didn't help.
- I tried to uninstall Firefox and make clean installation (didn't keep old settings), but that didn't help either. Bookmarks don't work.
- In the past year I tried to upgrade Firefox 3.6.xx to previous versions (i think they were 4.x, 9.x, 10.x), but I ran into the same problem, so I reverted to 3.6.xx. Problem this time is that 3.6 is no longer supported, so upgrade is not optional.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Modified by neravski
All Replies (4)
I have the same problem....with Mac OS X 10.7.3. Yesterday when I upgraded to 12.0, my bookmarks work when first opening Firefox, however once you close the app (not quit) I lose all functionality . The only way to regain functionality is to quit the app and reopen it...which is obviously only a very temporary solution.
Fire the Fox
A possible cause is a problem with the file places.sqlite that stores the bookmarks and the history.
You can also try to repair the places database with this extension:
I believe I've pinpointed the root of my problem; one of my add-on's / extensions. One of my favorite extensions is "Open Bookmarks in New Tab" which does just as the name implies. I disabled the extension and I now have all of my bookmark functionality back after closing and reopening the Firefox window; which is when I was losing functionality.
Unfortunately now I cannot use that extension which I've become very fond of.
Do you have this same extension?
Modified by timny24
You can middle-click or hold down Ctrl and left-click links including bookmarks to open the link in a new tab without the need to use an extension.