Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

can't backup my mozilla based browsers

Kaitlyn Allred

When I try to backup my browser by going to settings, accounts/sync, press "Turn on backup", select a file, then press "Turn on backup" it gives me the error "We couldn't access your backup folder. Try picking a new location". I've tried on both librewolf (my default browser) and default firefox. I've tried many different directories, including ~/bkp/librewolf, ~, ~/.config/librewolf/librewolf/ke7g2g68.default-default/sessionstore-backups, ~/.config/mozilla/firefox/67ggi7is.default-release-1790353084599 ~/.config/mozilla/firefox/97cgns5q.default-release, ~/.cache/mozilla/firefox/67ggi7is.default-release-1790353084599, etc. All of them give the same error. I've heard that I'm not supposed to run browsers with sudo privileges so I haven't done that. I've never intentionally backed up my files as far as I can remember, so I don't know if this is a recent thing or not, sorry.

system info: -firefox version: 156.0.1 -librewolf version: 156.0.0_1-1 -os: arch linux -kernel version: 7.2.6-arch2-1 -WM: sway 1.12 (Wayland)

When I try to backup my browser by going to settings, accounts/sync, press "Turn on backup", select a file, then press "Turn on backup" it gives me the error "We couldn't access your backup folder. Try picking a new location". I've tried on both librewolf (my default browser) and default firefox. I've tried many different directories, including ~/bkp/librewolf, ~, ~/.config/librewolf/librewolf/ke7g2g68.default-default/sessionstore-backups, ~/.config/mozilla/firefox/67ggi7is.default-release-1790353084599 ~/.config/mozilla/firefox/97cgns5q.default-release, ~/.cache/mozilla/firefox/67ggi7is.default-release-1790353084599, etc. All of them give the same error. I've heard that I'm not supposed to run browsers with sudo privileges so I haven't done that. I've never intentionally backed up my files as far as I can remember, so I don't know if this is a recent thing or not, sorry. system info: -firefox version: 156.0.1 -librewolf version: 156.0.0_1-1 -os: arch linux -kernel version: 7.2.6-arch2-1 -WM: sway 1.12 (Wayland)
Attached screenshots

All Replies (2)

Have you tried to use your user directory? I'm sure these dot directories wouldn't work.

I have tried my user directory, sorry it's kind of small and unnoticeable. I probably could've listed it somewhere better. Also my bkp directory isn't a dot directory so I don't think that's the problem. Probably. For the dot directories I was just hoping that if I used a folder I know that these programs can access that it would work.

Modified by Kaitlyn Allred

Ask a question

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.