specific page won't load
I'm trying to load autotrader.com. It initially loads the homepage, then quickly loads the following: We're sorry. Our site has experienced an error.
When I open the site in a private browsing window, it loads fine.
I've cleared out cookies and cache for the site. I've also cleared out cookies and cache and offline website data for all sites for the last four hours.
How can I resolve this? (And can I remove additional site data only for autotrader.com without removing data for all other sites?) Thanks for any help.
All Replies (3)
I've now changed permissions for cookies from default to "ask for each session" and the site loads. Changing cookies to "default" or "allow" brings back the error message.
(I would've added this to my original post, but I don't see an edit button that permits that.)
If you use extensions ("3-bar" menu button or Tools -> Add-ons -> Extensions) that can block content (Adblock Plus, NoScript, Disconnect, Ghostery, Privacy Badger, uBlock Origin) always make sure such extensions do not block content.
- make sure your extensions and filters are updated to the latest version
Firefox shows a purple shield instead of a gray shield at the left end of the location/address bar in case Enhanced Tracking Protection is blocking content. You can click shield icon for more detail and possibly disable the protection. You can check the Web Console for messages about blocked content.
You can remove all data stored in Firefox for a specific domain via "Forget About This Site" in the right-click context menu of an history entry ("History -> Show All History" or "View -> Sidebar -> History").
Using "Forget About This Site" will remove all data stored in Firefox for this domain like history and cookies and passwords and exceptions and cache, so be cautious. If you have a password or other data for that domain that you do not want to lose then make sure to backup this data or make a note.
You can't recover from this 'forget' unless you have a backup of involved files.
If you revisit a 'forgotten' website then data for that website will be saved once again.
I tried removing all the data as you noted (regrettably I did so before seeing your response; fortunately it was data for only the one site.)
Clearing the data did not resolve the issue. Also, none of the extensions I use were a problem previously. I'm thinking there may be a corrupted file for that site but am wondering why clearing the data would not have erased it. For now, I've left things in the workaround configuration I originally noted. Thanks for your suggestions.