Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Pomoc přepytać

Hladajće so wobšudstwa pomocy. Njenamołwimy was ženje, telefonowe čisło zawołać, SMS pósłać abo wosobinske informacije přeradźić. Prošu zdźělće podhladnu aktiwitu z pomocu nastajenja „Znjewužiwanje zdźělić“.

Dalše informacije
Rozrisany Archiwowany

How to keep english as default in spell checker after adding other dictionary?

capitansquid

I added a spanish dictionary to firefox as I sometimes email spanish speakers. Since then the spell checker has stuck to spanish as the default language every time I restart the browser. As soon as I select english, it stays until I close the browser. But goes back to spanish when I open a new window. I've tried every setting I could find, and I've also tried deleting and reinstalling both languages via add dictionary. I'm at a loss. Can anyone offer some advice? Thanks

I added a spanish dictionary to firefox as I sometimes email spanish speakers. Since then the spell checker has stuck to spanish as the default language every time I restart the browser. As soon as I select english, it stays until I close the browser. But goes back to spanish when I open a new window. I've tried every setting I could find, and I've also tried deleting and reinstalling both languages via add dictionary. I'm at a loss. Can anyone offer some advice? Thanks

Wšě wotmołwy (4)

You might find this answer helpful: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/que.../975459

Wubrane rozrisanje

You can check the setting of the spellchecker.dictionary pref on the about:config page and if the pref shows user set (bold) then try to reset the via the right-click context menu to the default value.

You can open the about:config page via the location/address bar. You can accept the warning and click "I'll be careful" to continue.

If you do not keep changes after a restart or otherwise have problems with preferences, see:

capitansquid said

I added a spanish dictionary to firefox as I sometimes email spanish speakers. Since then the spell checker has stuck to spanish as the default language every time I restart the browser. As soon as I select english, it stays until I close the browser. But goes back to spanish when I open a new window. I've tried every setting I could find, and I've also tried deleting and reinstalling both languages via add dictionary. I'm at a loss. Can anyone offer some advice? Thanks

This seems to have worked. THank you. Totally forgot about the config screen. Tried every menu I could find. Sometimes you gotta get under the hood for effect. Cheers.

Unfortunately, it ended up failing. As soon as I selected spanish on the next spell check it defaulted to it again and would not revert back to english no matter how often I selected it as the dictionary. I can revert it by using the same process as above, but again. It's only a temp fix. Is there no way to allow temporary use of dictionaries? This is really annoying.