Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved

Download Progress bar no Longer Appears on Windows 11 Taskbar in Firefox 155 (regression from 154)

Pootz

After updating from Firefox 154 to 155.0 on Windows 11, the download progress indicator on the Windows taskbar icon no longer appears at all.

What I see: - While a download is in progress, only the circular progress on the in-window Downloads button is visible. - There is no progress bar/fill on the Firefox taskbar icon, even when the window is focused and the Downloads panel is open. - In Firefox 154 this taskbar progress worked. - Chrome on the same PC still shows download progress on the taskbar correctly.

I checked about:config for anything related to taskbar/download progress and found nothing that controls this.

Is the Windows taskbar download progress still expected to work in Firefox 155, or was it removed/changed? Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks.

After updating from Firefox 154 to 155.0 on Windows 11, the download progress indicator on the Windows taskbar icon no longer appears at all. What I see: - While a download is in progress, only the circular progress on the in-window Downloads button is visible. - There is no progress bar/fill on the Firefox taskbar icon, even when the window is focused and the Downloads panel is open. - In Firefox 154 this taskbar progress worked. - Chrome on the same PC still shows download progress on the taskbar correctly. I checked about:config for anything related to taskbar/download progress and found nothing that controls this. Is the Windows taskbar download progress still expected to work in Firefox 155, or was it removed/changed? Has anyone else noticed this? Thanks.
Hoton allon fuska da aka liƙa
Karanta wannan amsa a matsayinta

Zaɓi Mafita

Update: I knew I wasn’t going crazy — after installing Firefox 155.0.1 the Windows taskbar download progress is back to normal.

It now shows on the Firefox taskbar icon again. In 155.0 it was completely missing.

The 155.0.1 release notes don’t mention this, but the behavior is restored on my Windows 11 system. So it looks like it was a 155.0 regression, not a feature that had been removed.

Thanks.

All Replies (7)

Pretty sure it was removed a long time ago, what version did you have that had the bar?

But if you click on the icon there is a bar in a popup

Thanks for the reply.

To clarify: I didn’t mean the progress in the Downloads button popup. I meant the progress indicator on the Windows taskbar icon itself (the bar that fills on the Firefox button, like Chrome still does).

I was on Firefox 154 before updating to 155. I thought I used to see that taskbar progress while a download was running in the background. After the update I no longer see any progress on the taskbar icon at all — only the circular progress on the in-window Downloads button.

I also tested with the Library / Downloads window open (Ctrl+J). Even then, there is still no download progress on the Windows taskbar icon.

It’s possible I mixed it up with the Windows 11 “active window” underline under the icon. On Windows 11 that indicator is easy to confuse with download progress.

Could you confirm: on Windows 11 with Firefox 155, should download progress still appear on the taskbar icon itself, or is only the Downloads button / popup expected now?

I meant the progress indicator on the Windows taskbar icon itself

OK Didn't see it on the taskbar. I usually have the taskbar hidden so will look for a larger PDF or something to download :)

Zaɓi Mafita

Update: I knew I wasn’t going crazy — after installing Firefox 155.0.1 the Windows taskbar download progress is back to normal.

It now shows on the Firefox taskbar icon again. In 155.0 it was completely missing.

The 155.0.1 release notes don’t mention this, but the behavior is restored on my Windows 11 system. So it looks like it was a 155.0 regression, not a feature that had been removed.

Thanks.

I’ve been having the same problem since that infamous update, and for me, it still hasn't been resolved, even with the latest version of Firefox (157.0 64-bit). It’s a shame, because it used to let you keep an eye on ongoing downloads while getting on with other things!

eddy.b.de.c said

I’ve been having the same problem since that infamous update, and for me, it still hasn't been resolved, even with the latest version of Firefox (157.0 64-bit). It’s a shame, because it used to let you keep an eye on ongoing downloads while getting on with other things!
I haven't experienced the issue again. I tested an 18mb download from those slow free hosts and it's working fine. I'm not sure how it got fixed, but I'm sure it was fixed for me after updating.

eddy, try clearing your download history, restart Firefox, and start the download again. Check if that solves the problem. I’m not sure if it's a version issue or an unknown bug that happened to us.

Yi tambaya

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.