Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

Columns in Message List Pane

mozilla892

Desktop Windows 11 Thunderbird 156.0.1

I have configured the message columns in the Message List pane for all the folders the way I want them. Unfortunately, Thunderbird frequently changes the columns in some, but not all, of the folders back to the default column configuration.

To temporarily fix this, I click on the column picker button in the folder that has the column configuration I want and select "Apply columns to > Folders and its children > " my top level folder. I also repeat this and select "Apply current view to > Folders and its children >" my top level folder. Sometimes this corrects the column organization in all my folders, but I usually have to repeat the above procedure multiple times to get the columns arranged the way I want them in ALL my folders. This lasts a few days before Thunderbird again returns the message columns in SOME of my folders to the default configuration. I then have to repeat the above procedure multiple times to get them the way I want, only to have to do this again in a few days.

How do I stop Thunderbird from making these changes, or how do I change the default column setting to the way I want it, not the way Thunderbird wants it?

This is not a new issue for me. I've been dealing with this for quite some time over many Thunderbird versions.

Desktop Windows 11 Thunderbird 156.0.1 I have configured the message columns in the Message List pane for all the folders the way I want them. Unfortunately, Thunderbird frequently changes the columns in some, but not all, of the folders back to the default column configuration. To temporarily fix this, I click on the column picker button in the folder that has the column configuration I want and select "Apply columns to > Folders and its children > " my top level folder. I also repeat this and select "Apply current view to > Folders and its children >" my top level folder. Sometimes this corrects the column organization in all my folders, but I usually have to repeat the above procedure multiple times to get the columns arranged the way I want them in ALL my folders. This lasts a few days before Thunderbird again returns the message columns in SOME of my folders to the default configuration. I then have to repeat the above procedure multiple times to get them the way I want, only to have to do this again in a few days. How do I stop Thunderbird from making these changes, or how do I change the default column setting to the way I want it, not the way Thunderbird wants it? This is not a new issue for me. I've been dealing with this for quite some time over many Thunderbird versions.

All Replies (1)

You might find a solution in this thread https://support.mozilla.org/bm/questions/1483264#answer-1700036

Ask a question

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.