Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved

Trying to modify ui.textSelectBackgroundAttention in Firefox 157.0.1

jrvladr

When searching inside a webpage the color of the item found hardly distinguishable with my theme. I tried to modify the ui.textSelectBackgroundAttention parameter of config. No results. The color stays the same old one.

When searching inside a webpage the color of the item found hardly distinguishable with my theme. I tried to modify the ui.textSelectBackgroundAttention parameter of config. No results. The color stays the same old one.
Read this answer in context

Chosen Solution

In general you shouldn't be putting any code you don't understand anywhere just based on what AI chatbots tell you, esp. if you don't verify it separately. Not that it can be just wrong, it can be even dangerous if you don't validate the actual meaning or functionality in other sources.

All Replies (6)

Hi

I do not recommend changing about:config prefs and suggest that you set that one back to the default.

Are you able to share a screenshot of the issue that you are having with Firefox?

Paul, Thank you for your prompt response.

I understand, that changing Firefox preferencies might be dangerous and even brake some internal structures. Nevertheless, the flexibility and the ability to customize the product to one's own taste was always the strong point of Mozilla's products. I work with them from 1995, starting with the Netscape. And if I wanted to work within the limits set for me, I would choose MS or some lousy Samsung creatures.

I attach here an example. If my eyes aren't deceiving me, the selected ("found") color is green. Thank you again for your response,

Vladimir

Such pref doesn't exist. (Check spelling.)

Modified by jbr

jbr, You are absolutely right. I should look at ui.textSelectAttentionBackground parameter. I trusted Gemini. The lesson -- never trust Google.

Thanks a lot,

Vladimir

Chosen Solution

In general you shouldn't be putting any code you don't understand anywhere just based on what AI chatbots tell you, esp. if you don't verify it separately. Not that it can be just wrong, it can be even dangerous if you don't validate the actual meaning or functionality in other sources.

Thank you for your response

Ask a question

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.