Had to uninstall Firefox, now I can't reinstall. Get error message "Can not find archive file." Please help!
I believe I had some kind of virus attack. I got everything cleaned up. (I HOPE) In the process of cleaning the virus, I unintalled Firefox because it wouldn't open. Kept getting the error message that Firefox was already open and I had to close out of the sessions or restart the computer. After restarting the computer several times and not being able to find any open sessions in task manager, I uninstalled. When trying to reinstall, I get the error message "can not find archive file." I've tried downloading Firefox from cnet as well as the Mozilla site to no avail. Please help. I'm getting tired of using Chrome already!
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/28.0.1500.95 Safari/537.36
Certain Firefox problems can be solved by performing a Clean reinstall. This means you remove Firefox program files and then reinstall Firefox. Please follow these steps:
Note: You might want to print these steps or view them in another browser.
- Download the latest Desktop version of Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org and save the setup file to your computer.
- After the download finishes, close all Firefox windows (click Exit from the Firefox or File menu).
- Delete the Firefox installation folder, which is located in one of these locations, by default:
- C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox
- Mac: Delete Firefox from the Applications folder.
- Linux: If you installed Firefox with the distro-based package manager, you should use the same way to uninstall it - see Install Firefox on Linux. If you downloaded and installed the binary package from the Firefox download page, simply remove the folder firefox in your home directory.
- Now, go ahead and reinstall Firefox:
- Double-click the downloaded installation file and go through the steps of the installation wizard.
- Once the wizard is finished, choose to directly open Firefox after clicking the Finish button.
Please report back to see if this helped you!
Not only did I delete all the files and folders on the computer Mozilla and Firefox, I also did a registry search for Mozilla and Firefox and deleted all those entries too. Did this before asking my above question. Just forgot to include it.