After a troubleshooting re-set on my windows pc my sync is no longer active. when i try to reactivate it on the tools drop-down i see two options: 1) "set up sync" which gives me the options of "create a new account" or "i have an account") or 2) tools --> options --> options --> sync which gives me the choices "set up firefox sync" or "pair a device." on my existing/previously paired device (a mac) the tools menu shows only a "sync now" choice. none of the available choices seem to fit so how do i proceed to get an existing sync account working on my windows pc? the instructions, if any, on doing exactly this are vague. i do have my sync account email, password and recovery key. sorry if i am missing something here. thank you.
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
Enter all details like the account name (email address) and password and the 26-character Sync key manually to connect to an existing sync account instead of using the 12-character code to pair a device if pairing isn't possible.
- open "Tools > Options > Sync" or "Firefox > Set Up Sync"
- click "Set Up Firefox Sync" to go to "Firefox Sync Setup"
- click "I Have an Account" : Connect
- click "I don't have the device with me" at the bottom to enter the account settings (email, password, sync key)
- click the "Sync Options" button at the bottom to select what to sync
thank you very much! this seems to be working . . . setup is complete and first sync, etc., is processing now. if only the "i don't have the device with me" option had some explanation that mentioned to select it in the circumstances i described. i was just reluctant to go there as it didn't seem to fit. thanks again.
Much like the initial poster, NEILjr, I re-installed my OS, and when I come to set up sync, I am not able to set it up. When setting up sync, I am given the two options: "create a new account" or "i have an account".
Cor-el posted a reply about generating a recovery key and typing it in manually. This too has been followed, but after entering user name, the password, the 26 character recovery key, and clicking next, nothing happens. This is getting me a little annoyed now, as it should simply be a case of putting in my username and password and clicking sync, and it should function without all the added rigmarole of recovery keys.
- IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: We’re going through some system changes, that may have slowed responses to your questions. If you had asked a question in the last couple of months, please re-post it and the community will help you as soon as we can. If you’ve registered after February 7th, please register again, the accounts on the previous site were not migrated to this temporary site. If you joined us before February 7, please reset your password if you have trouble logging into this temporary site.