This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
text is missing from webpage
if you view this webpage, on version 12, or 13 etc.. it will only show up to 2010.
whereas on version 3.6.28 or 3.8 it shows the full page.
look at the source code if you dont believe me. this is a real problem for me, as i keep getting "upgrade, its miles better!" constantly from firefox, and when i do, surprise! everything is slower, clunkier, and nothing works.
i thought updates were meant to be improvments to make things quicker ? why do developers, have to make things slower, and filled with more bugs ?
All Replies (6)
Looks like the nested font tag problem that first showed up in Firefox 4. More info:
Yes, you can see that if you select all the text via Ctrl+A and open View Selection Source via the right-click context menu.
You will see a long list of closing </font> tags at the bottom of the list.
In older Firefox versions you could disable the HTML5 parser to overcome this issue, but that is no longer possible.
You have to make sure that all tags are closed properly (that may be a problem with such a long list).
Modified by cor-el
works fine on chrome, i hand code the websites myself, in notepad, so many apologies to the "real" dev's out there, its real basic html. i cant see any long list of closing </font> tags though guys ? any further help, thank you!!!
You only see those </font> tags if you inspect the code that is generated from the DOM.
The font tag needs to be closed and if not then Firefox will open a new font tag and the HTML5 parser isn't able to process the excessive nesting of font tags that is causing this.
You can see that in the DOM Inspector with increasing indention.
- DOM Inspector: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/dom-inspector-6622/
Modified by cor-el
omg, guys, i just did wha cor-el said, and wow, what a MESS! :( i never coded the page like that.
how do i get this page to work on firefox 12/13/14/1x ?
I'm not sure of the most efficient way to clean up your page, but perhaps the following edit will help you get started. I did a major tightening for May 2012, then stripped out a bunch of unnecessary stuff for April 2012 - February 2011. At that point, the design changed, so I didn't edit after that point.
The page already lost 30k out of its 120k, so it should load faster in all browsers.
One thing to keep in mind is that you only need one table per month. There's no advantage to having each row be in its own table. And by doing that, you only have to specify column widths in the first row. You can see the result by comparing May 2012 with April 2012.
Note: for your own site, you can delete the <base> tag; that's just there to show the image when you're viewing the page on my server.
Send me a message through the board here when you want the page taken down.