After upgrade from 3.6.28 to 12.0 I lost bookmark functionality
OS is Windows XP 64-bit SP2. Upgrade from version 3.6.28 to version 12.0 doesn't work properly because I lost bookmark functionality. Bookmark menu is there, but no bookmark entries.
- I tried to add a bookmark (visit a page, then 'bookmark this page'), but that doesn't work: no error message, but nothing is bookmarked
- I tried to restore bookmarks from previous Firefox (yes i previously made backup), but that doesn't work either. I tried that in 2 ways:
1) Show all bookmarks -> Import and Backup -> Restore -> Choose file -> bookmarks-2012-05-06.json; I get error message 'Unable to process the backup file'.
2) Import and Backup -> Import bookmarks from HTML -> bookmarks.html; I get no error message, but nothing is imported.
- I tried to rename places.sqlite to places.sqlite.old and start Firefox. Didn't help.
- I tried to uninstall Firefox and make clean installation (didn't keep old settings), but that didn't help either. Bookmarks don't work.
- In the past year I tried to upgrade Firefox 3.6.xx to previous versions (i think they were 4.x, 9.x, 10.x), but I ran into the same problem, so I reverted to 3.6.xx. Problem this time is that 3.6 is no longer supported, so upgrade is not optional.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Modified by neravski
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; WOW64; rv:12.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/12.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; WOW64; rv:12.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/12.0
Java Quick Starter
Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant
Important Modified Preferences
(.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Samsung ML-1510_700 Series
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
Blocked for your graphics driver version. Try updating your graphics driver to version 10.6 or newer.
GPU Accelerated Windows
0. Blocked for your graphics driver version. Try updating your graphics driver to version 10.6 or newer.
I have the same problem....with Mac OS X 10.7.3. Yesterday when I upgraded to 12.0, my bookmarks work when first opening Firefox, however once you close the app (not quit) I lose all functionality . The only way to regain functionality is to quit the app and reopen it...which is obviously only a very temporary solution.
Fire the Fox
A possible cause is a problem with the file places.sqlite that stores the bookmarks and the history.
You can also try to repair the places database with this extension:
I believe I've pinpointed the root of my problem; one of my add-on's / extensions. One of my favorite extensions is "Open Bookmarks in New Tab" which does just as the name implies. I disabled the extension and I now have all of my bookmark functionality back after closing and reopening the Firefox window; which is when I was losing functionality.
Unfortunately now I cannot use that extension which I've become very fond of.
Do you have this same extension?
Modified by timny24
You can middle-click or hold down Ctrl and left-click links including bookmarks to open the link in a new tab without the need to use an extension.