I have to turn off ZOne ALarm web security for Firefox to open properly
I have Firefox 5.0 and Zone Alarm Extreme Security (10.0.246.000). When I open Firefox I get the welcome screen, as if I have just downloaded Firefox (no home page and no bookmarks - options are set at default). So, I close the browser and disable Zone Alarm Web Security and reopen Firefox. My home page and bookmarks load properly, options as previously set. I turn on ZA Web Security and all is fine until I close Firefox - then I have to do this all over again.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
Recently - not sure what triggered it.
- Garmin Communicator Plug-In 22.214.171.124
- Cortona Netscape Browser Plug-In (6, 0, 0, 179)
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.4.5"
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.0
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Garmin Communicator Plug-In 126.96.36.199
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_23 for Mozilla browsers
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Google Update
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:5.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0.1
I may have or had a Google search redirect virus. Seems OK now.
I use Windows XP.
I recently started getting an error message that cccinstaller and mom.exe encountered a problem and had to shut down. I don't open clinstall.exe upon startup (this has to do with the ATI 600x video card, I think.)
If you want to keep using that ZoneAlarm feature, I suggest that you go to the ZoneAlarm forum for Web Security/Browser Virtualization and ask whether Firefox 5.0 is now supported, or contact ZoneAlarm support.
P.S. This copy of a post by BadK_FFox (from last week) may also help:
Firefox 5 will not start with Zone Alarm Ver 10.0.240.000
I'm running Win7 x64 with ZoneAlarm Extreme Security 10.0.241.000
I had the same problem with Firefox 4. After turning off ForceField Toolbar, it started working fine.
Then I updated to Firefox 5 and it wouldn't start, instead it was showing an error message from ZA...
I searched mozilla support and followed the instructions here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser_will_not_start_up on the topic"Firefox does not start after updating with ZoneAlarm ForceField enabled".
The correct instructions for this ZA version should be: "Internet -> Web Security -> Settings, and click Clear Virtual Data"
After that I could open Firefox again! Then I realized it was still version 4... I installed the update, and everything went smooth. Checked again if Forcefield toolbar was inactive (it was) and opened a few pages, closed Firefox and opened again. After a while it wouldn't open...
AGAIN the "Clear Virtual Data" did the trick...
This time I clicked on Settings (next to "Clear Virtual Data") -> Advanced Settings, and turned off "Enable Virtualization".
Until ZA get a fix for this, either we turn it off or clear virtual data every few moves...