How to remove automatic redirects on Firefox?
When I type in a website that does not exist, I am redirected to an Ad from "sendoriads.searchassist.com powered by Yahoo". This is not the case with IE? When I search for a solution to block this on my Firefox it says to go to Tools and Options to block automatic redirects. But, that option is not there?
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
typing in a non-existant website
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.43.3
- Version 18.104.22.168
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.3.4"
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Default Plug-in
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r32
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_21 for Mozilla browsers
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:22.214.171.124) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7
Do a malware check with a few malware scan programs.
You need to use all programs because each detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of the database before doing a scan.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
- http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php - Ad-Aware Free
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
See also "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked and What to do when searches take you to the wrong search website
Thank you for the response.. I presently use malwarebytes and ad-aware.. But, will also try the others..
Previous versions of Firefox had an option for blocking automatic redirects but, the latest version does not?? Or at least I cannot find them in the Admin tools area where they once existed. I would like to block the automatic redirects which was once possible in the Options admin area?? Does Firefox earn revenue from these "Searchassist" Redirects?
You can stop automatic redirects in Firefox with tools/options/advanced/general, beneath the "accessibility" header.
At least one ISP redirects misspelled URLs to that URL. If this is the case, on the page to which you're redirected, scroll to the bottom and look at the far right. There should be a link saying "About this site." If you click it, it will give you a link to a page on your ISP's site that will allow you to opt out of having your browser hijacked.