Can i prevent sponsored links coming up?
I am getting sponsored links appearing on all my searches. These are irrelevant and waste my time. How do i block these?
Additional System Details
- -Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.3.2"
- Default Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r42
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20100315 Firefox/3.5.9 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Yes, there are multiple ways to prevent these links from appearing. One way, and the one I personally recommend to you, is to install Adblock Plus, a very handy extension for Firefox that will block all adverts in the internet. And when I say all, I mean 99% of them, and you'll be hard pressed to find one it doesn't block. After installation, be certain that you apply at least one adblocking filter so that you can start browsing the web without noisy and intrusive advertising. If you need any help, just ask.
If you just want to remove those particular sponsored links and want to keep seeing all the other adverts and banners everywhere, there are also ways to do that. I'll teach you, if you want. But I'm confident you won't want anything else when you try Adblock Plus :)
Right now i just want to focus on the links. the other ads don't really matter that much, so if you can help, many thanks.
I will advise you that blocking all ads is way way easier than blocking the sponsored links alone. I only advise blocking the sponsored links only if you actually WANT to see all the other adverts. If the other ads simply "don't matter", I recommend you block them all and be done with it.
I just want to make sure you understand: blocking all ads is very easy. You just install Adblock Plus and subscribe to a filter. And that's it. Sponsored links, ad banners, everything is gone and let's you browse the web clean and fast because you don't have to load all the ads to see the page. But blocking just the sponsored links is way harder. In any case, there are multiple ways to do it. Here are a few:
- install Adblock Plus and, with the help of Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper, create a customized filter that is meant to specifically hide the element the sponsored links are in.
- create a customized CSS sheet that sets the element the sponsored links are in to display: none or visibility: hidden or opacity: 0, and store it either your userChrome.css, or in Stylish or a similar extension. Alternatively, you can find an already created stylesheet in userstyles.org that blocks those sponsored links.
- if it's Google we're talking about, then OptimizeGoogle is one of the many extensions that will, among other things, remove adverts from Google. If it's another engine, then you just have to search for an extension in addons.mozilla.org.
I hope this helps.
je suis rwandais desirant le sponsor pour les etudes
Thank you Morbus. Adblock is removing all those sponsored links on searches now. I was previously getting a full screenview of them and having to scroll down to find the web results, followed by a bunch more sponsored links at the bottom of the page. Not any more and I appreciate your help.