Plugincontainer.exe is slowing down and locking up web processes how can I fix this?
I am using a Dell Dimension XPS running MS Windows XP, Professional, ver. 2002, service pack 3.
I recently upgraded Flash because there were messages indicating that was required. After that upgrade the browser began to slow down and lock up, especially when playing Zinga Texas Holdem Poker but other times as well. I saw in Windows Task Manager that plugincontainer.exe was using an inordinate amount of memory. and the processors were maxed out. By deleting the plugincontainer.exe process from the task manager, the problem would sometimes be solved. However doing this would always crash Flash and end my poker game. I then went through the process of deleting plugincontainer.exe from my computer, but this removed my ability to use Flash. I then restored Firefox which reintroduced the plugincontainer.exe and the problems returned and it also deleted all the apps I had added to my browser. Still can't play poker because of slowdowns and lockups that also occur with other process like filling out forms while in the browser. Not happy with Firefox right now even though I have used it happily for many years.
Additional System Details
- Adobe Acrobat Plug-In Version 7.00 for Netscape
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 19.0 r0
- VLC media player Web Plugin
- Npdsplay dll
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/41.0
- see if there are updates for your graphics drive drivers
- disable protected mode in the Flash plugin (Flash 11.3+ on Windows Vista and later)
- disable hardware acceleration in the Flash plugin
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/891337 See also:
Use this link to check that your plugins are up-to-date. If any are listed as unknown or research, do not worry about them.
I did all the steps suggested and the lockups still occure.
You can try to disable hardware acceleration in Firefox.
- Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Browsing: "Use hardware acceleration when available"
You need to close and restart Firefox after toggling this setting.
You can check if there is an update for your graphics display driver and check for hardware acceleration related issues.
Also make sure that you allow the plugin-container process in your security software.
Boot the computer in Windows Safe mode with network support (press F8 on the boot screen) to see if that has effect.