This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Cannot login to Yahoo mail or other sites with password. Different windows account works fine though.
Recently I can no longer access websites that use passwords, they no longer get stored. Yahoo mail for instance keeps displaying "The browser you're using refuses to sign in. (Cookies rejected) I have tried all solutions about cookies, delete profiles, clear cache, uninstall re-install etc. website logons do not work with correct user names and passwords. I did however create a "Test" account (user profile) on windows, logged in and installed firefox which everything works fine. All websites work. The computer is a dell precision t3500, dual intel xeon w3565 with 6 gigs ram. Windows 7 professional w/sp1. This seems to be a user account, registry or maybe a policy error? I have run malware bytes, spybot, antivrus, all clean.
All Replies (6)
Certain Firefox problems can be solved by performing a Clean reinstall. This means you remove Firefox program files and then reinstall Firefox. Please follow these steps:
Note: You might want to print these steps or view them in another browser.
- Download the latest Desktop version of Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org and save the setup file to your computer.
- After the download finishes, close all Firefox windows (click Exit from the Firefox or File menu).
- Delete the Firefox installation folder, which is located in one of these locations, by default:
- C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox
- Mac: Delete Firefox from the Applications folder.
- Linux: If you installed Firefox with the distro-based package manager, you should use the same way to uninstall it - see Install Firefox on Linux. If you downloaded and installed the binary package from the Firefox download page, simply remove the folder firefox in your home directory.
- Now, go ahead and reinstall Firefox:
- Double-click the downloaded installation file and go through the steps of the installation wizard.
- Once the wizard is finished, choose to directly open Firefox after clicking the Finish button.
More information about reinstalling Firefox can be found here.
WARNING: Do not run Firefox's uninstaller or use a third party remover as part of this process, because that could permanently delete your Firefox data, including but not limited to, extensions, cache, cookies, bookmarks, personal settings and saved passwords. These cannot be easily recovered unless they have been backed up to an external device!
Please report back to say if this helped you!
Andrew, Thank you for your reply. I have done what you suggested but no luck. I have even removed all my security software and disabled firewall. Still no luck. The only thing that seems to work is if I create a new windows user account and logon with that account, firefox runs fine. I can save and logon to webistes like banking, yahoo mail, gmail etc. If I switch users, firefox does not work. I hope this info helps in narrowing my problems and getting a solution since I love firefox and this recent issue is driving me nuts.
Does anyone else have any thoughts?
Thanks for the reply. I have cookies enabled, and third party cookies being accepted, so they are not blocked. there are no exceptions or rules in place. There are no file locks, but there is a "parent.lock" file. Still same computer one windows user account; firefox runs fine, no problems, no issues. The main windows user account I get the cookies rejected error or website logon passwords do not work.
"but there is a "parent.lock" file." Make a copy of that file, remove it from the profile folder and restart Firefox, does this make a difference?