disable vpn for a website in macos?
New user of the Mozilla VPN for MacOS 26 (soon to be 27). I have two questions: 1) how can I exclude a website from the VPN? The Roku website, accessed via Safari, does not work with the VPN installed and enabled. The only instructions that I have been able to find use a Firefox extension that only works on Windows. 2) When I turn off the VPN, or quit it, I lose internet access. I have to uninstall the VPN client (I use AppCleaner) to effectively disable it and maintain internet access. How can I temporarily disable or quite the VPN and maintain internet access? Thanks !!
Όλες οι απαντήσεις (5)
Yeah, I ran into something similar with VPNs. The important bit is that Mozilla VPN’s Mac app works at the device level, so it isn’t really set up to exclude one website in Safari. The website-by-website exclusions are handled by Mozilla’s Firefox VPN extension.
For the internet cutting out when you quit the VPN, that sounds like the kill switch doing its job. On macOS it’s enabled by default, and Mozilla currently doesn’t provide a setting to turn it off.
So for Safari/Roku, I’d either use Firefox with the VPN extension and exclude that site, or turn off the device-level VPN when you need Safari to connect normally. One other option on current Mac versions is App Exclusions, which lets you bypass the VPN for an entire application, though not an individual Safari website.
Thanks for the rapid reply, this makes sense. Sorry that the I had to use the "Firefox" thread, I couldn't find a thread for the VPN client. I was a happy user of the Firefox VPN, but some websites, including Roku, simply just didn't work on Firefox with or without its VPN.
Part of my concern is the "turn off the device-level VPN" advice - when I do so, I lose all internet access. That happens whether I turn off the VPN within the client, if I just quit the client. My DNS locations don't seem to be off due to the VPN, so this issue is an absolute mystery to me. Until I figure this out, the only way I can get around the VPN client when I need to is to completely uninstall it. If I'm missing anything, I appreciate any help. Thanks!!
mattoxk said
Sorry that the I had to use the "Firefox" thread, I couldn't find a thread for the VPN client.
Look at top for Ask a Question > Mozilla VPN
You need to use a Mozilla Account that has the Mozilla VPN subscription or you will be directed to https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/new/firefox
James said
mattoxk said
Sorry that the I had to use the "Firefox" thread, I couldn't find a thread for the VPN client.Look at top for Ask a Question > Mozilla VPN
You need to use a Mozilla Account that has the Mozilla VPN subscription or you will be directed to https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/new/firefox
Thanks! I did use that same account, not sure why it directed me here. As for the "Ask a Question" link, I couldn't find an answer there and there was no link to a VPN Client-specific forum. As before, please direct me if I missed something obvious. I would just like to temporarily turn off or defeat the Client and maintain my internet connectivity.
Thanks again!
Okaaaaay.... I've just disabled the VPN Client and was able to maintain internet connection, and was also able to then quit the VPN client with the same positive results. Not sure what happened in the last day or two but I'm now able to do what I've been wanting to do. Thanks to those that have replied, I will monitor for the next couple of days. I'm very happy that Mozilla, an org that I trust, has a widely available VPN and I look forward to continuing to use it.
Τροποποιήθηκε στις