Firefox extremely buggy and locks up after updating to rev 157.0
Yesterday (10/1/26) Firefox went through SEVERAL updates to v.157.0. Now, it behaves extremely buggy and locks up if I try to open more than one window. It was never this pathetic! I want to revert back to the previous version. Yes, I am running Win10.
Also, now it will not even close properly. I have to go into program manager to kill all of the subprocesses that have spawned. I DON'T LIKE THIS VERSION AT ALL!!!!!
All Replies (2)
Hi gumby_dammit223,
If Firefox is freezing and not closing properly after the update, it would be useful to determine whether this is caused by an extension, hardware acceleration, or another program interacting with Firefox.
Could you first try starting Firefox in Troubleshoot Mode and see whether it still locks up when you open more than one window? Troubleshoot Mode temporarily disables extensions and some other customizations, which can help narrow down the cause.
Also, please go to about:crashes and check whether there are any recent crash reports. If there are submitted reports, please post the Report IDs (they begin with “bp-”) here.
Since you're running Windows 10, please also let us know the exact Firefox version shown under Help > About Firefox and whether the problem occurs in Troubleshoot Mode. I would avoid downgrading for now, as that can introduce profile compatibility issues; we can investigate what is causing the problem first.
Chosen Solution
As I stated in the title, I'm running v157.0 of Firefox, 64-bit.
"about:crashes" shows nothing.
When I use Troubleshoot Mode, the main site in question (accessing my NAS), it works flawlessly. I've narrowed the problem down to my virus detection [of course] (Malwarebytes). Turning it off and accessing everything works fine. Even when I fully disable MWB for the root address of my NAS, and the icon for it shows as disabled, it is NOT. Any action I take with it enabled takes forever, or not completed.
I guess I've found the offending party. Now to complain to them. And it turns out they updated their software on 30 September, so right when all of this garbage started. Probably time to find another virus checker...
Thanks.