Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved Arhivirano

Thunderbird 140.0.1esr freezes during typing text of new messages

Harold Weller

Thunderbird pushed out an automatic update last night (July 13 2025) to version 140.0.1esr. Since then I cannot complete creating and typing a new message without Thunderbird freezing completely during entry of the text of a new message. I am running Windows-11 home, version 24h2. I have rebooted, etc. multiple times. I also ran thunderbird in troubleshooting mode and the problem still exists.

Please help - as of today Thunderbird is completely useless to me.

wellerhn@gmail.com

Thunderbird pushed out an automatic update last night (July 13 2025) to version 140.0.1esr. Since then I cannot complete creating and typing a new message without Thunderbird freezing completely during entry of the text of a new message. I am running Windows-11 home, version 24h2. I have rebooted, etc. multiple times. I also ran thunderbird in troubleshooting mode and the problem still exists. Please help - as of today Thunderbird is completely useless to me. wellerhn@gmail.com
Pročitajte ovaj odgovor sa objašnjenjem

Odabrano rješenje

Good call Rick. I sometimes forget about that choice, which isn't tested in Thunderbird's Troubleshoot Mode.

All Replies (6)

Sorry you are having trouble.

Please see https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Testing:Memory_Usage_Problems especially #6 (but don't skip the previous steps).

What are your results?

Turning off the status bar as outlined in #6 did not solve the problem.

Image of Task Manager showing memory usage is attached.

Try #3 in the article: run Windows in safe mode to test for the possible, and likely, interference of Norton.

Odabrano rješenje

Good call Rick. I sometimes forget about that choice, which isn't tested in Thunderbird's Troubleshoot Mode.