silverlight will not start when "play DRM content" is checked
Netflix stopped working on my PC in Firefox. When I go to options-content and uncheck "play DRM content" it starts working.
I realize the Primetime plugin is intended to facilitate playback of some content (DRM) which may not otherwise play via Silverlight/Flash plugins but unless I disable it it is actually preventing me from playing normal video content.
As this is a Firefox/Adobe suggested plugin I would prefer it to function as intended rather than disable/remove it.
I uninstalled Silverlight and re-installed it, but that did not make a difference. It was working fine a few weeks ago, bu tthat was the last time I tried to play a movie, so I'm not sure when this issue actually started, so I can't match it up with a particular update to anything that may have caused it.
Additional System Details
- ActiveX hosting plugin for Firefox r39
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.16
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 15.10.20056
- A plugin to detect whether the Adobe Application Manager is installed on this machine.
- DYMO Label Framework Plugin
- Google Update
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 11.66.2 for Mozilla browsers
- MetaStream 3 Plugin r4
- Plug-in for detecting Nero Kwik Media.
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealTimes Download Plugin
- Shockwave Flash 20.0 r0
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 18.104.22.168
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 12.1
- Unity Player 5.2.0f3
- Windows Activation Technologies Plugin for Mozilla
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/43.0
https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/get-started/install/default.aspx Silverlight 5 (5.1.41105.0)
I already have silverlight installed (I just uninstalled and reinstalled the newest version to troubleshoot). For some reason Firefox will not allow silverlight to start if "play DRM content" is checked in Firefox settings. If I keep it unchecked, then other DRM content (not requiring silverlight) will not play. This only occurs on my desktop running Windows 7. My laptop running Windows 8.1 does not have this issue. It just started recently, so I'm thinking an update (but to what??) is causing the issue. Has anyone else had the same issue and found a good resolution?