Transfer Firefox settings, logins, and bookmarks from a semi broken PC.
Can you tell me how to copy and transfer firefox settings, logins, and bookmarks from a P.C. that will not run via the O.S. ( Windows 7 ) I am wanting to copy from, but the hard drive is intact and accessible via an older O.S. ( Windows Vista ). I would like to transfer the FF stuff via copy to flash drive to temporarily transfer to a Windows 8.1 OS. The Win7 and Win Vista are installed on two seperate hard drives, and Vista still works and accesses the Win 7 Hard drive. Not sure about some kind of security or access allowed messages I get though.
You can copy certain files with Firefox closed to the current profile folder to transfer or recover personal data. Note that best is to avoid copying a full profile folder.
You can use the button on the "Help -> More Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page to go to the current Firefox profile folder or use the about:profiles page (Root directory).
- Help -> More Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Folder/Directory:
Windows: Open Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder
- bookmarks and history: places.sqlite
- favicons: favicons.sqlite
- bookmark backups: compressed .jsonlz4 JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder
- cookies.sqlite for the Cookies
- formhistory.sqlite for saved autocomplete Form Data
- logins.json (encrypted logins;32+) and key4.db (decryption key;58+) for Passwords saved in the Password Manager
key3.db support ended in 73+; to use key3.db in 58-72, make sure to remove key4.db
- cert9.db (58+) for (intermediate) certificates stored in the Certificate Manager
- persdict.dat for words added to the spell checker dictionary
- permissions.sqlite for Permissions and possibly content-prefs.sqlite for other website specific data (Site Preferences)
- sessionstore.jsonlz4 for open tabs and pinned tabs (see also the sessionstore-backups folder)