Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

Repeated 'random crashes' with Firefox Snap on Kubuntu

lucasschwartzenbergfirefoxsync

I have been having random crashes Firefox Snap on Kubuntu 24.04 (and now 26.04). Sometimes Firefox will run stably for over an hour, sometimes it will crash in less then a minute from (re-)launch. I have tried the usual troubleshooting steps of 'run in troubleshoot mode', 'refresh', disable plugins, but the crashing seems to happen even when running in troubleshoot mode. I also have not been able to figure out any kind of event or user-action that triggers the crash; it might happen while browsing, it might happen while I am not even at my computer. At first I thought 'the Devs will handle this', but it has been some 6 months so I think my case is not very common/pressing to the community. I'd like to take a more proactive approach in solving the problem. I am still a novice at software fixing, so I might have skipped or missed a very basic step in the '10 things to try to fix Firefox'.

I have been having random crashes Firefox Snap on Kubuntu 24.04 (and now 26.04). Sometimes Firefox will run stably for over an hour, sometimes it will crash in less then a minute from (re-)launch. I have tried the usual troubleshooting steps of 'run in troubleshoot mode', 'refresh', disable plugins, but the crashing seems to happen even when running in troubleshoot mode. I also have not been able to figure out any kind of event or user-action that triggers the crash; it might happen while browsing, it might happen while I am not even at my computer. At first I thought 'the Devs will handle this', but it has been some 6 months so I think my case is not very common/pressing to the community. I'd like to take a more proactive approach in solving the problem. I am still a novice at software fixing, so I might have skipped or missed a very basic step in the '10 things to try to fix Firefox'.

All Replies (3)

Hi lucasschwartzenbergfirefoxsync,

Since Firefox is still crashing in Troubleshoot Mode, the next useful step is to look at the crash reports rather than repeating the usual troubleshooting steps.

Please enter about:crashes in the Firefox address bar and post the 5 most recent submitted Report IDs here. They should start with “bp-”. If any recent reports are still unsubmitted, please submit them first. These IDs can help identify what is actually causing the crashes.

Since you are using the Snap package on Kubuntu, it would also be useful to know the exact Firefox version and whether the crashes occur with a fresh Firefox profile. If you can provide the crash IDs first, we can start there.

Firefox version: 157.0 (64-bit) Mozilla Firefox Snap for Ubuntu canoical-002 - 1.0

Report ID: bp-9b80d64c-328a-42b9-88b8-8b6fd0261003 bp-7e6b85b0-8112-45e8-92e5-f009a0261002 bp-9120ada0-8a87-4b13-bbd1-591360261002 bp-069b6538-5a12-4468-a996-4c28b0260928 bp-10bf3689-a44e-4395-a7a6-40ddf0260927 bp-b2d82fba-de64-484c-a55b-5682c0260926 bp-c63da096-feff-41d0-9073-21bbd0260925

libc.so.6 seems like a recurring troublemaker, but I have no idea what that is.

Is there a way to make a new profile without deleting the old profile? Are there ways to migrate information from the old profile to the new one in several steps, so I can narrow down which aspect is causing problems?

Hi lucasschwartzenbergfirefoxsync,

Yes, you can create a new profile without deleting or changing your existing one. In fact, that would be a useful test here.

You can type about:profiles into the address bar and select Create a New Profile. Your existing profile will remain untouched, and you can switch between the two using the same page. Mozilla specifically recommends using separate profiles when troubleshooting problems like this.

I would actually avoid migrating anything at first. Start with the completely new profile and run Firefox for a while. If it stops crashing, we know the problem is likely somewhere in the old profile rather than Firefox itself.

Then, if necessary, you can gradually bring things over — bookmarks, passwords, settings, etc. — testing Firefox after each change. Mozilla documents transferring individual pieces of profile data between profiles.

As for libc.so.6, that's a standard Linux system library, so seeing it in a crash report doesn't by itself mean that libc is the underlying cause. The crash-report details should give us more useful information.

I'd suggest testing the completely clean profile first and not copying anything into it yet. That gives us a much cleaner comparison.

Ask a question

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.