Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

ఇంకా తెలుసుకోండి
Open

connection to server timed out

Magda Butnaru

Hello,

My internet provider is RCN. For the past couple of months, I’ve occasionally been getting the message, “Connection to server imap.rcn.com timed out.” As a result, I’m unable to receive emails via Thunderbird.

All my settings are correct. Usually, the problem resolves itself within 24 hours, but sometimes, like this time, it lasts longer.

Any suggestions? Best, Magda

Hello, My internet provider is RCN. For the past couple of months, I’ve occasionally been getting the message, “Connection to server imap.rcn.com timed out.” As a result, I’m unable to receive emails via Thunderbird. All my settings are correct. Usually, the problem resolves itself within 24 hours, but sometimes, like this time, it lasts longer. Any suggestions? Best, Magda

ప్రత్యుత్తరాలన్నీ (7)

Do you have an antivirus program scanning email or encrypted connections. They slow things down and that can lead to timeouts, particularly with large downloads of uploads.

Thank you for your reply.

No, I don't have either. Magda

Hi Magda.

Were you able to sort this out? I am currently having the same issues.

Any alternatives perhaps?

I haven’t been able to fix the issue. It’s intermittent: the connection may suddenly start working again without any configuration changes, then time out later.

The connection is generally slow, so I wonder if it has trouble handling increased incoming email traffic. RCN support hasn’t been very helpful.

No guarantees, but try this:

  1. click to settings>general
  2. scroll to the bottom and, on the right, is 'config editor'. click that
  3. enter this: mailnews.tcptimeout
  4. I think you will see the default setting is 100. Change to 250 save and exit
  5. restart thunderbird and let me know. Also, recheck config editor to be sure your change took.

Thanks David! Your suggestion makes sense, but unfortunately, it does not work for me. Magda

I know it's frustrating to have intermittent success. Some servers are overloaded and the email provider may need to beef up their servers (that's just mu guess, but I really don't know). And you could try setting timeout to a higher number, such as 350. Good luck. :)

ఒక ప్రశ్న అడగండి

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.