Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved Archived

most email words are being squiggly red underlined like spellcheck gone wacky. how do I fix?

pop22

When I want to send an email, even now, just about all words have a squiggly red underline. This just started a few weeks ago. Spell check is also affected. The red lines do not pass through to recipient. Tried re-loading Firefox. I am using Yahoo mail and don't have this problem with IE

When I want to send an email, even now, just about all words have a squiggly red underline. This just started a few weeks ago. Spell check is also affected. The red lines do not pass through to recipient. Tried re-loading Firefox. I am using Yahoo mail and don't have this problem with IE
Read this answer in context

தீர்வு தேர்ந்தெடுக்கப்பட்டது

I just had the same problem, but checked the dictionary operating and indeed for some reason, only a French Dictionary was installed! Downloaded English (US) and all seems well. Thanks cor-el! Not to Firefox -- please may we have English (UK) sometime soon?

All Replies (4)

Do you have a dictionary installed and selected?
You can see which dictionary is selected if you right-click in a text area and open the Languages submenu.
You can open the "Add Dictionaries" link to install a dictionary if you do not have one.
Make sure that [X] "Check Spelling" in the right-click context menu has a tick.
You can enable or disable spell checking globally:

  • Tools > Options > Advanced : General: Browsing: "Check my spelling as I type"

See also:

Thanks Cor-el,

I had French dictionary but disabled it, but that was not problem. I have spell check on. When I use it, it works as there is a double underline where needed.

Maybe I should uninstall Firefox and all my settings and reload it.

தீர்வு தேர்ந்தெடுக்கப்பட்டது

I just had the same problem, but checked the dictionary operating and indeed for some reason, only a French Dictionary was installed! Downloaded English (US) and all seems well. Thanks cor-el! Not to Firefox -- please may we have English (UK) sometime soon?

There are licensing issues that prevent including a suitable dictionary with each locale, so only a few locales come with a dictionary and the en-GB locale isn't among them.