Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Archived

latest up date in thunderbrd changing windows task bar and backgrounds

jltd12514

Have there issues with the latest update changing the color, location of task bar and the background in Win 10? and Win 8.1 Happen to both of my computers. Windows 8.1 machine wound up with the old chevy for a background that I've only seen n Win 10. other common denominator between the two computers, Malwarebytes.Both computre set for automatic updates. Thanks

Have there issues with the latest update changing the color, location of task bar and the background in Win 10? and Win 8.1 Happen to both of my computers. Windows 8.1 machine wound up with the old chevy for a background that I've only seen n Win 10. other common denominator between the two computers, Malwarebytes.Both computre set for automatic updates. Thanks

All Replies (3)

How do you think this happened? Thunderbird does not even use standard windows windows really. It most certainly does not integrate into the registry enough to change the desktop image, let alone the task bar.

Matt thanks for the reply, I have no idea. Just something I observed. My Win 10 laptop task bar etc changed same time Thunderbird updated. Yesterday signed onto win 8.1 I checked for a newer driver update for my ethernet adapter( upgrade in internet service) through device manager-nothing found, clicked out screen blinked, task bar changed color, and the old chevy was now my background???? and the color and appearance of T-bird had changed in particular the task and calendar icons in task bar.laptop is wireless, desktop wired. Another common denominator both units using Malwarebytes. Which was apparently doing a scan in the background, which came back clean. I even established a separate identity on laptop. task bar and background original factory setting. no t-bird setup to second identity. When I first noticed on laptop, tried changing back to factory setting, lots of chatter about it on Microsoft community. Somebody's program is changing things somewhere?..

If you have W10 1903 or newer, there is an option in Windows Settings, Personalization, Colors, for the 'default app mode'. Choosing Dark or Light will affect TB if you have the Default TB theme.