Hello there people. Before we get started a little info on me. I am old, decrepit and broken plus a little bit of a moron. Now we have that out the way here is my problem. I have a fairly old windows laptop running 8.1. I am absolutly certain that Microsoft are deliberately sabotaging it so it will no longer work! Not to much of a problem as my brother has given me a Mac. My problem is when I try to sync things on the Mac. Everything seems to be in a different place or hidden on the Mac. Is there a way I can get firefox to look exactly the same on the Mac as it does on windows?
If you need any more info I will gladly supply it if I can.
Many thanks Mark
Alla svar (1)
No, each OS has its own conventions and Mac is quite different than Windows. It's a different OS and a different file system and the profile folder will be in another, hidden, location. The files in the profile folder will be the same, but different content makes files like prefs.js not being compatible. SQLite database like places.sqlite (bookmarks and history) and some JSON files like logins.json/key4.db for the logins and sessionstore.jsonlz4 for session data (open tabs) are Okay as well. You can use the OS selector of a SUMO knowledge base article to see some of the differences.
You can copy certain files with Firefox closed to the current profile folder to transfer or recover personal data. Note that best is to avoid copying a full profile folder.
- bookmarks and history: places.sqlite
- favicons: favicons.sqlite
- bookmark backups: compressed .jsonlz4 JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder
- cookies.sqlite for the Cookies
- formhistory.sqlite for saved autocomplete Form Data
- logins.json (encrypted logins;32+) and key4.db (decryption key;58+) for Passwords saved in the Password Manager
key3.db support ended in 73+; to use key3.db in 58-72, make sure to remove key4.db
- cert9.db (58+) for (intermediate) certificates stored in the Certificate Manager
- persdict.dat for words added to the spell checker dictionary
- permissions.sqlite for Permissions and possibly content-prefs.sqlite for other website specific data (Site Preferences)
- sessionstore.jsonlz4 for open tabs and pinned tabs (see also the sessionstore-backups folder)