Updating from v68 to v78 deleted all data in Thuderbird.
I'm assiting an elderly user of Thunderbird. We were trying to update his saved password but the menu items did not match my current version 153.3.1esr. When I asked him to check his version he had options to update from v52. He went through 3 update cycles to v78 when all his data had disappeared. I found some information at: https://support.mozilla.org/mk/questions/1312391 which seemed to put the issue at a file format change in v78. When he looked at the profile folders the most recent was created in 2024. (I couldn't get him to find a modified date more recently.) When he closed Thunderbird and used the Run command "Thunderbird.exe -P" we couldn't find a way to select that most recent profile folder. Are you able to give me instructions I can use in a Windows remote (quick) assist session to restore his data from the profile folder?
Alternatively, is it possible to downgrade back to v68 of Thunderbird; would this restore his data (account settings, emails, contacts/address book etc?
Thanks in advance for any guidance you may be able to offer.
Toate răspunsurile (3)
I think I know what is happening here. But lets have a look at what is on the hard drive first.
goto the troubleshooting information on the help menu. In the first page or so of information is an about:profiles link. Use it.
Is there a default and a default release profile shown with the default release being used? (or more than one profile really)
Try clicking the launch on the one not in use. Getting the old information?
Hi Matt, Thanks for your response. In the Profiles folder I found four profiles: 6oyevu1w.default-release-1 31-07-2024 1:46pm cwuo32lg.default-release 17-06-2022 11:01am ef4rr8td.default-release-2 30-08-2024 10:04am fjghka46.default 21-01-2020 7:39am
The one dated 30-08-2024 was the one in use. I tried to use the "release-1" profile but I couldn't see any option to do that. You said, "Try clicking the launch on the one not in use".
What I tried to get Thunderbird to switch to that profile was: 1. I closed Thunderbird: to ensure that Thunderbird was not running. 2. I opened the Run Dialog: using Windows + R on the keyboard. 3. I ran the Profile Manager: I typed "thunderbird.exe -P" in the run dialog box and clicked OK.
However, this gave me a pop-up to create or cancel a new profile. Unsure if this was opening the "release-1" profile or not, I cancelled.
And here I am.
Can you advise how I get Thunderbird to open the older profile or can/should I undo the update v78 or should I uninstall Thunderbird and download a current version and start over?
If we installed a current version of Thunderbird, would it be possible to recover messages and addresses from one of the old profiles?
I hope you can help with this problem.
Incidentally, the computer was updated from Win10 to Win11 and I checked to see if there was a restore point I might revert to before the updates to Thunderbird only to find that restore points were turned off. So that option was not available.
I've found some instructions on using Thunderbird's Profile Manager.
What I'm considering is: 1. Use Task Manager to ensure that all Thunderbird processes are closed. 2. Open the Run dialog (Windows + R) 3. Enter thunderbird.exe -P "Profile Name", where I replace "Profile Name" with the exact profile name for the release-1 profile o load that one.
Note: I'm adding the .exe as the Thunderbird copied in his upgrade to Win11 is the 32-bit version.
I'd appreciate your advise on this being a way forward, thanks.