Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved

How to turn off warning about recipients seeing addresses so use bcc

fred.d1

As per title, if I have a large enough distn list I get a warning bar (see image) with The x recipients in To and Cc will see each other's address. You can avoid disclosing by using Bcc instead. Then two options, which appears to require a response. ( I haven't tested not acknowledging it and sending a blank email to one of my large lists as I don't want to appear incompetent to all my work colleagues)

This helpful warning is (emotively) treating me like an idiot. I am well aware of the 3 categories and I know how to use them. I don't need to be told each time and have to choose. I don't need a warning, if I stuff up that's my problem.

The issue for me is that recently I have started to use some larger distn lists so it's occurring too frequently.

Have searched but so far missed any option or config setting to disable this. Can anyone please advise how to do so, if it is possible.

This isn't asking for a debate on whether or not it's a good idea to warn people who don't understand email sending options (you can guess my view but each to their own). I'm simply asking is there a way to turn this behaviour off and stop TB from wasting my time requiring a response.

Thanks.

As per title, if I have a large enough distn list I get a warning bar (see image) with The x recipients in To and Cc will see each other's address. You can avoid disclosing by using Bcc instead. Then two options, which appears to require a response. ( I haven't tested not acknowledging it and sending a blank email to one of my large lists as I don't want to appear incompetent to all my work colleagues) This helpful warning is (emotively) treating me like an idiot. I am well aware of the 3 categories and I know how to use them. I don't need to be told each time and have to choose. I don't need a warning, if I stuff up that's my problem. The issue for me is that recently I have started to use some larger distn lists so it's occurring too frequently. Have searched but so far missed any option or config setting to disable this. Can anyone please advise how to do so, if it is possible. This isn't asking for a debate on whether or not it's a good idea to warn people who don't understand email sending options (you can guess my view but each to their own). I'm simply asking is there a way to turn this behaviour off and stop TB from wasting my time requiring a response. Thanks.
Attached screenshots

All Replies (2)

Valgt løsning

I don't know if you can turn it off, but you can set the trigger limit higher. By default, the warning will show if there are more than 15 addresses in the To: field. To change this:

- Go to <Settings | General | Config Editor>

- Search for "mail.compose.warn_public_recipients.threshold" and change the value from 15 to whatever you want.

Thank you.

While it's technically a work around, setting it to 200 will do me, so I'll mark it as a solution because it's good enough for my needs. I did try 0 in the hope it might turn it off but alas, I got the warning before I'd added any recipients at all!

Intriguingly I note that there is another option mail.compose.warn_public_recipients.aggressive. It's currently set false and of course looking up the release notes says... Added config option to more aggressively warn sender about having many public recipients to an email (mail.compose.warn_public_recipients.aggressive) which like many of these doesn't really help a non-dev. Hate to think why that was put in there and what it might actually do.

and with grumpy old man hat on if anyone wonders about assistive technology and why you might want to turn it off permanently... Just look at all the car site reviews about lane assist and having to turn it off all the time when you are on country roads to avoid being randomly thrown into the other side of the road with no obvious warning. Applies to a lot of reviews of almost every brand and model. If you live in the city or drive multi lane - no problem. If you live in the English countryside, not so good.

Still et spørsmål

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.