Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

Deleted emails disappear - not in 'deleted mail' folder

kevin2

When I deleted an email, it used to be moved to the 'deleted mail' folder, so I could always retrieve it if necessary. After the latest update this is no longer happening and the emails just disappear. How do I get this function back?

When I deleted an email, it used to be moved to the 'deleted mail' folder, so I could always retrieve it if necessary. After the latest update this is no longer happening and the emails just disappear. How do I get this function back?

All Replies (2)

Hi Kevin

Could you confirm if your using Imap or pop3?

Have a look at the accounts folder settings. Is the deleted Items folder still set to the equivalent Imap folder?

Could you also confirm "When I delete a message" is set to "Delete from server". This is located under settings > account name > fetching mail

I am using IMAP on my phone. I have not changed any settings from the previous version of Thunderbird for Android, which worked fine. I have checked, and the folder settings for IMAP are set to 'Automatic' I have tried changing the setting you mention (which was set to 'Delete from server', but it makes no difference - my deleted emails just disappear from my phone, instead of showing in the 'Deleted Mail' folder as they always used to. I have just found another 'wrinkle' to this problem. I deleted an email from my phone as I was sure I didn't want it, and as I expected, it just disappeared. When I downloaded my mail to my desktop computer using POP3, that email appeared in my inbox! (Not all of them do, but that one did!) Having not changed anything from the previous version, I am now totally confused as to what is happening!

Ask a question

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.