I get no sound on Vine or Instagram. Why?
I can't get sound to play on any videos on Instagram & Vine. The videos play fine but sound will not. I have no sound issues on any other websites besides these two. However when I go to Vine or Instagram on Safari or Internet Explorer the sounds play fine. Why is this so?
I've done the following to try and fix the issue with no success: Checked my mixer to make sure volume isn't muted. Cleared my cache. Updated plug-ins.
Additional System Details
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 13.0 r0
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 188.8.131.52
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.55.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 184.108.40.206
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.9
- Amazon MP3 Downloader Plugin 1.0.17
- npmnqmp 989898989877
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0
Do any errors show up in the Error Console when you play the video?
- Press CTRL + SHIFT + J to open the Error Console
- Once it's open, try to play a video from Vine/Instagram
- copy/paste the output from the Error Console into pastebin.com then share the link.
With Vine there is a speaker icon on top left of video that I find is sometimes muted by default so click on that.
Sound works for me in this example. https://vine.co/v/Mr2lUhHdm7a
You can also check the right-click context menu of the player if there isn't a speaker icon.
Clear the cache and cookies only from websites that cause problems.
"Clear the Cache":
- Firefox/Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content: "Clear Now"
"Remove Cookies" from sites causing problems:
- Firefox/Tools > Options > Privacy > "Use custom settings for history" > Cookies: "Show Cookies"
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).
- Do NOT click the Reset button on the Safe Mode start window.
Here's the information you wanted from the Error Console when I visit Vine and can't hear any sound. --------> http://pastebin.com/E8xGmSKp
The Vine speaker on the videos is not muted. I checked this already. The Vine link you referenced (https://vine.co/v/Mr2lUhHdm7a) I can see the video but hear no sound.
I cleared the Cache. Removed Cookies and ran Firefox in Safe Mode. I still got no sound from Vine.
I am a Linux user more.
However I think I have seen posts here and or on mozillaZine forums that had users like you and they found that Firefox was muted in the volume controls on the Windows OS or such?
It's not. I checked my volume mixer.
Yes... I wrote about the topic in this thread:
Because i am not register in the forum and i can't post a reply here, but... Basically it's the same problem ... I'm using Firefox 30.0 and Windows 7 64 bits.
Thanks for attention ! :D
Modified by WyRe