Bookmark display button behaviour
I have the bookmark display button (black box with asterisk) on the rh side of my screen. Until recently when I selected it the bookmarks dropped down below it. Now a side bar appears on the left hand side instead. How do I restore to the original functions? (v19.0.2)
Additional System Details
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.17.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.01
- Intel web components for Intel® Identity Protection Technology
- Intel web components updater - Installs and updates the Intel web components
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0
hello paulcr, please follow this guide in order to customize the user interface in firefox: Customize Firefox controls, buttons and toolbars
there are two similar looking bookmark buttons - one opens the bookmark sidebar, the other one the bookmarks drop-down menu...
Thanks Philipp. I see now that when the original "button" disappeared I replaced it with the slightly different looking button. However the "original" is not shown as an option when I customise the toolbar. Additionally I note the "original" is supposedly part of the default toolbar, but when I do a restore of the default toolbar it doesn't return. All very odd, and I don't even know how it disappeared in the first place.
Problem solved but it seems to me the toolbar was not behaving as I would have expected. Trial/error did the trick.
You only see the Bookmarks Menu button if the Menu bar with the Bookmarks menu is hidden (View > Toolbars or Firefox > Options).
If the Bookmarks Toolbar is visible then the Bookmarks Menu button is displayed on the Bookmarks Toolbar as part of the Bookmarks Toolbar Items (bookmarks), but you can move it from the right side to the left side of the Bookmarks toolbar if the Customize window is open.
Otherwise the Bookmarks Menu button will appear on the right hand side of the Navigation Toolbar.