This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
lost bookmarks when computer crashed
I had multiple book marks set on my computer. The hard drive crashed. Can I recover those to use on my new computer? If so, how?
All Replies (1)
It is dependent on whether or not you have a backup of your bookmarks. You can restore your bookmarks from a backup to your new computer.
If you don't have a backup, the bookmarks may still be recoverable if they are stored in a recoverable format on your crashed hard drive. You can try to recover the data using data recovery software.
If you have a backup, follow these steps to restore your bookmarks to your new computer:
- Open Firefox on your new computer.
- Click the Library button (three horizontal lines) in the upper-right corner of the window.
- Click "Bookmarks" and then "Show All Bookmarks."
- In the Library window, click "Import and Backup" and then select "Restore."
- Select the backup file of your bookmarks and click "Open." Your bookmarks will be restored.
If you don't have a backup, use data recovery software to recover your bookmarks:
- Connect your crashed hard drive to your new computer.
- Download and install a data recovery software, such as Recuva or EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard.
- Run the software and select your crashed hard drive as the location to scan for recoverable files.
- Look for a file named "bookmarks.json" or "places.sqlite" in the list of recoverable files.
- Select the file and recover it to your new computer.
Once the file has been recovered, open Firefox and restore the bookmarks by following steps 2-5 from the first set of instructions.
Here are some resources for regaining access to Firefox bookmarks:
I hope these resources are useful! Please let me know if you have any further questions.