This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Mozilla Firefox | Real Privacy Concerns...
• Mozilla makes most of their money by shipping Firefox with Google as default search engine. • Mozilla partners with Facebook to create "privacy preserving advertising technology". • Mozilla now includes a unique identifier to all Firefox downloads/installations. • Mozilla Firefox by default has telemetry enabled without informing the user. • Mozilla Firefox now includes more and more bloat such as Pocket, etc.
None of the above is good in any way... this is serious BS makes me worry about Mozilla and my Privacy while using Firefox, i already switched to Librewolf anyways but i still use Firefox for other purposes. Anyways... did i forget something? Am i missing any headlines above or is that it?
What does everyone think about this? I mean seriously, what do you think?? You folks on this forum obviously are using Firefox, so..?
All Replies (2)
That's all true, but, is it really a "problem?"
• Mozilla makes most of their money by shipping Firefox with Google as default search engine.And this harms me .... how exactly?
• Mozilla partners with Facebook to create "privacy preserving advertising technology".I don't use Facebook, never have, never will. You shouldn't use it either. Problem solved.
• Mozilla now includes a unique identifier to all Firefox downloads/installations.And this harms me .... how exactly?
• Mozilla Firefox by default has telemetry enabled without informing the user.I agree that they shouldn't do this. But, anyone who cares about this can easily disable telemetry. I'm not very smart and I figured it out.
• Mozilla Firefox now includes more and more bloat such as Pocket, etc.I agree that there is some unnecessary junk. But it is pretty easy to ignore, and if you really care about it, you can probably figure out how to remove or disable it.
Modified by Jerry Attric
Ofcourse it's a problem...
Being dependent on google for most of your revenue is a very bad situation. Besides who knows what influence google has over mozilla with all that big fat money.. When mozilla partners with facebook this is a nogo, there is no saying problem solved. I never use facebook aswell and yew on hundreds of thousands of websites they have their trackers present, there is nothing solved here, and mozilla having a contract with facebook is pure BS. quote: "privacy preserving advertising technology", that alone is not just stupid but also extremly cringe because it doesn't work. privacy and adversting don't fit together. A unique identifier is obviously a mjaor privacy issue, chrome and edge have that aswell, the only difference is mozilla claims that their unique identifier is anonymized, which sounds to me pretty much the same way as this phrase did, quote: "privacy preserving advertising technology" Mozilla might aswell say "we use a unique identifier which is not a unique identifier". The telemetry in firefox sucks, i can see they might use that for statistic's data or who knows what more.. I don't like it anyways no matter if it can easily be turned off, it shouldn't even exist. Same with the bloat like pocket, yes it can easily be turned off but there is no reason for this unnecessary bloat to even exist at all, it's annoying nothing more.